Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
But wait ... theres MORE!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is going to the three day meeting at our new track in Sydney this weekend for the official opening?

I have taken friday off work to go to Qualifying (couldnt afford to take Sat/Sun off though :( )

I have never seen a Top Fuel car in full flight and I think I need to before I get so old they wont let you in there with a pacemaker!!

(And pray for a ford to win Super Sedan my favourite category)

·
freelance
1,086 Posts
Saturday Arvo looks good.

You have to see Top Fuel, awesome stuff, And word is WSIR is clamping down on the myriad of rooted RX's and bodgy V8 cortinas and Toranas so the street stuff should be better.

WSID is so professionally done, lets hope the Creek has a look over the fence and sees how to look after the punters.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
Rodderz said:
Top fuellers and funny cars are definately a sight to behold, the rumble of the whole ground, the sight, the speed, the stinging eyes from the nitro, hopefully they once again race in Victoria soon!
lets hope so rod. i have never been to see them and am dying to see, hear and smell them :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Night_Lurker said:
lets hope so rod. i have never been to see them and am dying to see, hear and smell them :)

let me just say that it will definately be worth the wait!!!
its the most awe inspiring motorsport to watch live :AAHHH:

·
Frantic Ford Fanatic
140 Posts
Stick your fingers in your ears for the burnouts and take them out for the run.
The burnouts allways seem louder than the run especially when you sit behind the tree .
You people in Sydney will finally see what we in Perth and Willobank get every few weeks.
Top Fuel is awesome but the best racing is from the Top Doorslammers I feel.
Can't wait until Simon Travelini gets his BA Top Doorslammer going !!!!!!!
I'll be at WSID in 5 weeks after going to the Grand Prix for the jets and the round of the Top Doorslammers. Should be a hoot

·
But wait ... theres MORE!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well qualifying was good , but the 60 degree temp on the track and 37 in the shade made it a bit toasty!
Seeing a flat five at close to 470kms hour however was well worth it!!

Only two filthy chook cookers and one ricer the tie I was there too!!!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
WASA and I went Saturday afternoon/night. We were awestruck as the Top Fuel boys went 4.821 at 307 quickly followed by a record 4.813 at over 309 mph. This was aided by a cool breeze as evening set in. The sight of nitro flames at night is incredible and these cars rate as the top of the tree for any motorsport spectacle.

The door price was over the top at $35 but facilities were reasonable and the top fuel guys made it worthwhile.

The main negative WASA and I saw in the event was the severe shortage of anything to do with Ford. there were semis painted in Holden colours, heaps of Holden/GM cars but only a few old style Ford cars independent of any Ford branding.

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
I agree with AP.

Saturday was awesome and the 4.8 seconds passes were amazing. Only problem was that there wasn't enoght of them. I hope that a few more teams pop up now that there is a dedicated Sydney strip.

Only gripes was the crazy cost to get in, the pain in the arse access to the grass seating section and the Junior Dragsters. My god what a crock they are! Okay I'm all for the young ones getting a go, but after paying the high ticket prices, I don't want to see lawn mowers travel down the track :|

I reckon the track was awesome, its gotta be good if the the top fuel guys rock up without any previous setup info and then hit a record.
I can't wait to run my car and bike down that strip.

To everyone that missed the action, better catch the next lot, its well worth it.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
SIWREN:
Yeah, I forgot the seating area access issues. What a pain!!! But hopefully they will learn and change things to suit. Overall, the facilities are excellent - compare that to Oran Park where the V8 Dopecars run.

As for the lawnmowers, I'm prepared to sit through 15 minutes of these things because that's the grass roots mate. That's the future. And the kids loved the attention and cheers coming back on the service road. I imagine they are still on a high.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
I'd have to agree with 'siwren', those lawnmowers are a complete waste of time which just holds up the meeting.

Rick.

·
known as tibbo
2,033 Posts
they put the kiddie dragsters in so you can get to the toilet and have a bite without missing any real 'action'

They are abit ordinary from a spectator perspective but then if i was 10 years old again i'd think they were the ducks..

·
XB Pilot
183 Posts
When I was ten 80cc 2-stroke go-karts were the things dreams were made of, and i reckon they would get down the 1/8th mile faster. And they go fly round corners. Oh and I had a 80cc trailbike as well.
I thought that the fact that they weren't all exactly the same and they had dial your own time was good though. And that they had a 'too fast' time.
Though I did notice that a couple of them did spin it up on the water. Not bad I thought.
I wasn't exactly bagging them, just pointing out that I didn't think that they were necessary for a summernationals event where we just wanted to see burnouts and the freakin awesome sound the Top Fuel cars made on launch. I jumped everytime even though I was expecting it :)

I reckon a good burnout comp wouldn't have been a bad thing :)

Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts