Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have been told to do the above swap all I need is an XF wheelbearing kit, plus associated disks, calipers, brackets..etc..and its a straight swap...

Is this correct????? I realise I have to modify the hand brake cable, but it doesnt work at the mo' so I'm not missing out on anything!!

Its a 8 3/4 diff...well I think thats the right size...I know its not a 9"

I already have the XA diff shortened in my XM Coupe..its just I need to rebuild the rear drums so thought this was the perfect opportunity to do so..

I realise I need to go get the old bearings taken off and the new pressed on....

any help would be greatly appreciated....
cheers....brendon

·
Registered
827 Posts
Brendon,
sounds like your pretty much on the right track.
I assume you plan to fit XF rear discs. Just check the bolt plates welded to the end of your diff housing are at the same angle as the XF.
I am not sure whether the XA ones are horizontal or Vertical. If yours are Vertical, step up to EA/EB discs.

I recently fitted an EB housing to my dads XF ute, and these plates were an issue. If money wasn't tight, i would simply have fitted EB Discs and been done with it, rather than alter them to suit Drums.

Cheers
Jas

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yep - it's a bolt-on proposition - you just need to sort out the handbrake cable and the hard lines on the diff.

You need the Disk Brake bearing kit because the caliper mount plate is cast alloy and a good bit thicker than the pressed steel drum backing plate - the Disk Brake kit has a thicker oil seal - that is the only difference, so if your wheel bearings are still good, you really only need the thicker seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts