Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]

I found a few strange things?????

Timing @ 26 or 28 total lost me mph and ET. Timing @ 24 total gave me 125mph.

My car now sits very low on the driverside. Might have broke something in the suspension. Something else for me to look at/fix.

I did an amusement run in 100% street trim. It's nice to know I can wheelspin beyond half track. [email protected] mph.

On many of the runs I could feel shaking (tyre shake). Not 100% sure on how long this was happening for but rough guestimates are no less than 20 feet. Basically it'd stop shaking then a split second later I could see my 60ft time pop up on the screen. Traction is a mayor issue. I'm over powering the rear suspension so I'll have to fit some form of traction device.

I got to take my brother inlaw and 2 mates for a run in the car which presented pass's of 2 * 11.2's and one 11.3.

Very happy to get another personal best :hehe:

·
The Deputy Dogg.
1,862 Posts
Well done mate, just sort out the suspension and a 10 is there for the taking.

·
under thumb
286 Posts
Hurrah mate well done! How you going to go about your rear now slapper or caltracs? The caltracs are only $500 bills now from SJP

·
Turbo 351TC "Coming soon"
259 Posts
Top stuff mate great to hear she is getting quicker... SOOOOO close to a 10 its not funny. All the best

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xyfmtjoe said:
Hurrah mate well done! How you going to go about your rear now slapper or caltracs? The caltracs are only $500 bills now from SJP
Last I was quoted from Glenn was $800 plus delivery. I'm leaning toward slide a links as they are more local. Only 1.5 hours away to pick them up. They are $600-$650 and are bolt on. The only difference is they don't used an alluminium bush in the front. So they travel a little better on the street.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well done Brendan. There is a couple of shots of your car on the latest Grunt Files dvd. Go for the slapper bars cheap to make. I'm doing 1.60 60fters with slappers and very stiff leaves, no dramas.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xw383 said:
Well done Brendan. There is a couple of shots of your car on the latest Grunt Files dvd. Go for the slapper bars cheap to make. I'm doing 1.60 60fters with slappers and very stiff leaves, no dramas.
Might have to get a look @ that DVD ;) Slappers work but if I'm going to spend $. I'll go the more extreme way than the easiest option.

·
under thumb
286 Posts
brenx said:
Last I was quoted from Glenn was $800 plus delivery. I'm leaning toward slide a links as they are more local. Only 1.5 hours away to pick them up. They are $600-$650 and are bolt on. The only difference is they don't used an alluminium bush in the front. So they travel a little better on the street.
Latest just parts page 210 $500 per kit! Might be worth giving them another call!

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xyfmtjoe said:
Latest just parts page 210 $500 per kit! Might be worth giving them another call!
@ $500 it's still not worth it for me. Postage from WA -> Vic costs.

I gather you've seen the car "HSVETR"? Chris runs slide a links. Good enough for him is good enough for me.

·
under thumb
286 Posts
I dont know too much about them but either way you go 10s are yours for the taking now!

Maybe new tires will get you there?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Go the slide a links, When i priced them they were 665 from superplus but i think you could get them cheaper. Look up street machine hotfords as they did the rear suspension story in no 3 i think. The school of thought was reversed fron eyes and the caltracs or slide a links. Most guys in the Biante Series are using these to stop severe axle tramp prob's.
AZZA

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xyfmtjoe said:
I dont know too much about them but either way you go 10s are yours for the taking now!

Maybe new tires will get you there?
I think new tyres would probably get me close. I can't afford them at this stage as it means not just getting new tyres. I also need to widen two rims. I'd be up for around $1000 total for 2 tyres and rim widening. Just to keep me happy :priest: Then I'd need more $ to put tyres on my 16" rims. :thdn: Just to play tyre swaps will cost me no less than $1500. At this stage I'd rather just plant the tyres harder into the ground.

I was having a chat with Falcon coupe today regarding the drag meet. We came up with a possible reason my mph increases with less timing. The reason being? With the timing decrease I loose power. Less power = less wheelspin. That's the only reasonable conclusion I can think of since the engine was dyno'd on an engine dyno.

I'm sure, I can get better pricing on slide a links without any issues. A forum, I'm a moderater of has various sponsors which generally discount products for us. I'd prefer to not run extra traction devices but in the name of going fast I'll have to bite my tongue and do it. Just have to wait for my tax and long service $ to come in. Much like I do every year.

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
Nice work on the times there Brenx not far of the tens. I also like the full street run .
If you don't realy want to run traction aids have you looked into rear springs like mine .They are avail from lovell and they are designed for the ho series falcons to stop axle hop .Most the spring pack is up front to stop it from bending up while hardly any out back to help it transfer wieght .A 10sec Xc sedan runs them only here in WA .
I got them instead of normal ones as I was replacing springs anyway and at 450.00 not badly priced concidering the price of springs .

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For those kind of $ I'm better off with the traction aid. Only a few hundred more. I've had a look at the lovell spring pack. I don't believe it's any better designed to reduce spring wrap. Hence me just redoing my current spring pack over a year ago.

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
I don't think you are refering to the ones I have as the part of the spring that turns into a s shape under power has 3 leafs there .But I also think that going for slide a links caltracs etc would be far better choice .
I only got mine as I was getting new springs anyway and from memory I got them for under the 400.00 mark for the set.
One thing I learnt after 4wd with a mild powered 351 bronco is axle hop is a pain .

·
351 XE on LPG
743 Posts
CONGRATS BRENX

. . . at this rate you'll be piloting a top fueller by the end of the year.

Will getting a 10 require you to spend more $$$ on safety gear (rollbar, etc)?
I'm not sure what ANDRA's rules are compared to what you've already got.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts