Ford Forums banner

xc in 11 sec zone?

7K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  gtjim 
#1 ·
im gonna rebuild my xc fairmont and i wanna get it to do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds flat on street tyres and keep it driver friendly for work to on the road.

I plan on buying a 351 4ma crank and use 302 rods with flat top pistons and 4v vales in the 2v heads and a 2.5 inch dual exhust system with turbo mufflers back by a 2500 stall converter on my c4 tranny with a trick kit and a 9' lsd diff with 3:55:1 diff ratio.

i also have 15x 8 inch globe mags on it with 235/60/15 tyres

Im aim for 450hp max from my engine rebuild would this do the trick?

Is this possible to do with the car still in street trim or am i dreaming?

If u kno anything i might have missed i would like anyone help thanks.

#2 ·
you missed a whole lot of critical stuff to achive 11's in a car weighing 1700+kilos

sorry but your dreaming

ps 450 hp with really well set up car at that weight lucky to run mid 12's in real street trim

#8 ·
Might be better off building the car up so it is capable of running 11's over a few years.

First aim for 14's, then 13's etc.... And enjoy the sport, learning what works best for you.

How often have you raced on a drag strip???

#13 ·
11's is seriously fast, $6000 is not enough for a 450hp clevo unless you use s tock bottom end blow all $6000 on the top and then watch it self destruct the first time you run it, your 302 must be pretty nicley worked over to run 14.5 1/4 times (dont tell me its stock) i know what your up against becuse i own a car of your weight and size.

ps motor sold for $1300 qwik corty

#14 ·
by the way stock wrx pulls , mid 15 1/4's with a good driver, wrx sti ( the fastest factory offering in aust) pulls 14.0 flat r33 gtst skyline would be lucky to run anywhere near a 14.5 in stock trim so in theory your car should already beat these cars as is, see where im going with this?

#15 ·
Lots of cam
Lots of compression
Lots of revs
Lots of convertor
Lots of gear
And big slicks

But unfortunately $6k wont even get you the driveline, let alone the engine. You may want to re-evaluate your goals.

#16 ·
You guys being a way too negative! If an 11 sec XC was your goal to run 11's I'm sure it could be done for $6000, not the way I would do it, but it can be done. Just look at the times street/drag cars are running. Dunno maybe its different East side..

Anyone say nitrous?

#17 ·
Now what you should have said."I want to go fairly fast at drag racing.What is rquired to go 12"s" ??? In Xc 351 or 389 clevo...A Friend of mine has run 13.1 last wednesday night at eastern creek..With T04E turbo 24 inj 8860 EMS and slicks.RPM [4800] is restricted due to inj being too small... Has 200 rwkw and has cost atleast that amount..Doing most the fabing ourselves....

#20 ·
Even though it is not impossible to achieve what you are trying to do with your budget of $6,000, It would be stretching things a little.

A few points from your first post which would need addressing,
CK351 said:
i wanna get it to do a 1/4 mile in 11 seconds flat on street tyres and keep it driver friendly for work to on the road.
Not gunna happen on street tyres.

CK351 said:
I plan on buying a 351 4ma crank.
4MA will gain you no advantage in your case.

CK351 said:
a 2.5 inch dual exhust system with turbo mufflers.
Too small exhaust for even 400HP, check other threads for exhaust recommendations

CK351 said:
a 2500 stall converter
Probably want a higher stall than this-combined with below

CK351 said:
9' lsd diff with 3:55:1 diff ratio
As suggested by others, probably want 4.11's or even 4.56

CK351 said:
Im aim for 450hp max from my engine rebuild would this do the trick?
Possibly yes. Considered nitrous?

CK351 said:
Is this possible to do with the car still in street trim or am i dreaming?
Most probably Dreaming.

Have you considered ignition, camshaft, carb, extractors, etc you will use?

You have to weigh up the whole equation to consider times you'll run. If you get a nice 400-450HP Clevo with a 100HP shot of nitrous, around a 4,500 convertor, 4.11's or even maybe 3.9's, big slicks, and a really good run down the strip, in street trim you'll get well into the 11's.

11 flat is pushin the limits. If you can get all the above for $6,000, good on ya :)

Good Luck anyway!

#21 ·
well thanks for all your answers guys

I didnt know it could be that expensive to run in 11s.

I sore bronu tassones XC in perth in full street trim pull a 10.96sec 1/4 there and it looked like stock no tubs or anything crazy looking to get the boys in blue on his back u know.

so that what i wanted to do i like to use nos but in melb u get busted with the bottle in ur car while driving and u can kiss ur car goodbye so that aint an option for me really.

then plz answer me this what would i be looking at with close to 400hp at the wheels with a c4 auto and a 3;55 centered lsd diff
would i be good for 13 or 12's then?

#22 ·
ohh yeah my 302 isnt stock but close to stock i changed the cam and put on the exhuast system y flow 2' 1/4 inch dual system with turbo mufflers, and a holley 600cmf on top so yeah plus no pollution system so dont tell anyone lol.
plus i got ride of the power sterring and air con to to make it lose some weight.

ohh yeah u still have to remember it will be my daily driver to ok sorry guys i dont wanna be a pain with all the questions but i really need to know what i should expect when all the work is done on my car.

Thanks to you all for your time and help again
CK351

#23 ·
have you considered a big block? much cheaper for the power figures you would like to get, plus it would also remain much more driveable than a 450 hp clevo... i read the street machine magazine with the aluminium headed 460 running 9's on nitrous, then he disconnects the nitrous bottles puts on some street tyres and drives home.
i found it hard to believe until i saw it pull a 8.96 at willowbank on jan 3rd.

just my 2cents

#25 ·
philstoj said:
how do you know if you never raced?????
theres heaps of 351's that would not run a 14.5, what makes your 302 so special?
have a good read thru the forums, get a few ideas together, then do what you have to do...
What he said,plus a 302 clevo in a full weight car with only the mods you've said would be lucky to pull a 16, what diff gears and tranny are you running?

#26 · (Edited)
CK351 said:
well thanks for all your answers guys

I didnt know it could be that expensive to run in 11s.

I sore bronu tassones XC in perth in full street trim pull a 10.96sec 1/4 there and it looked like stock no tubs or anything crazy looking to get the boys in blue on his back u know.

so that what i wanted to do i like to use nos but in melb u get busted with the bottle in ur car while driving and u can kiss ur car goodbye so that aint an option for me really.

then plz answer me this what would i be looking at with close to 400hp at the wheels with a c4 auto and a 3;55 centered lsd diff
would i be good for 13 or 12's then?
I know the gear that went into Bruno's XC and there's nothing mysterious about the combo, so why don't you phone him and ask him about it?

PS It's a stroker 378 not 351, but Boys we've got into that discussion lots already...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.