Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Budget Racer
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have broken gears in my second stock Borg-Warner diff. I am running a mild 351 in a XD van that was a 4.1. I am using the stock diffs for the ratio 3.23:1, and because they are cheap!
I have just fitted another 25 spline, LSD this time.
Question is, do I hang on to the old axles in case I break one?
Have people broken these axles or do the gears go first as in my case?

Thanks in advance
Stu

PS A nine inch is not an option for this van$$$, and the 4 pinion diff is 2.92:1 and can not be changed as I understand it.

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
XBWGN has run a 3.54 from a panel van behind his 212rwkw 351 wagon. It then went into a 177rwkw 351 panel van and now the diff's in a XB coupe behind a 155rwkw 302.

Thats over the past 5 years or so. Diff's just a 3.54 borg warner 4 pinion. It just won't fail. All three cars were auto too. I don't think it'd last behind a manual.

Brenden

·
Resident Budget Racer
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st diff did side gears, loud clunks going around corners, but it had travelled nearly 400,000kms!

2nd diff from a wreaker had too much lash, I broke teeth off the pinion and crown wheel. Very loud howling all the time.

I have experienced axle breakage when I dabbled on the dark side (Holden), just wondering if I should hang on to my spare axles, are 25 spline Boug/W known for breaking?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
4 pinion BW78 a great diff in my view, not sure about the 2 pinion version. I'm running a very stout stroker Cleveland and my BW 4pinion is holding up just fine....

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
Work Horse said:
1st diff did side gears, loud clunks going around corners, but it had travelled nearly 400,000kms!

2nd diff from a wreaker had too much lash, I broke teeth off the pinion and crown wheel. Very loud howling all the time.

I have experienced axle breakage when I dabbled on the dark side (Holden), just wondering if I should hang on to my spare axles, are 25 spline Boug/W known for breaking?
Shouldn't need to. I'd only keep them if for example a wheel bearing gets noisey and you can't be stuffed getting a new bearing pressed on. So you'd just throw one of your other axles that has a good bearing in.

Otherwise loose the axles.

Brenden

·
###AND EDGT DRIVER###
713 Posts
i have broken one behind a xd 351 (manual) wisted at the spline .

did some some power take offs but the owner before trashed it when it was a six that what i think anyway.

i had lots of problems with the open centers in other cars snaping pinion shafts in the centers but never had a problem with a 2 pinion lsd.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
i have a 25spline 2pin lsd, thats been dodgy shimmed up, and its still lasting in my car, the uni was stuffed b4 the diff.

·
Resident Budget Racer
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll dump these axles, one less thing in the shed, and it's not like I can't get more!

I'm really impressed with the strength of the B/W, although I,ve broken a few, they have always got me home.

Will see how the 2 pinion LSD holds up. Anyone tried running small slicks with one or is that stretching it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts