Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im playing with the idea of maybe getting rid of the xr6 for and older V8. Do XDs hold their value well?

cheers
Tim

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
XDs are at the bottom of the value pit. They can be had for next to nothing, so I wouldn't really worry about buying one for its resale value!

·
I love my FORD!
480 Posts
hehehe!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Perhaps I should reword my original post! :angel:

An XD V8 would be a good value car to buy. Next, you'll invest say $5k into mostly the motor. Then it's a nice basic streeter, but don't expect to see that $5k ever return to you if you plan to sell it in the near future.

No matter how much money you put into an XD, it'll always be worth SFA. That doesn't mean it'll always be a crap car, you could have the best XD in the country (a title hotly contested by genuine street machiners, restorers, and housing commission centrelink-dependent fake-pension-receiving bogans alike), but it'll always have a crap resale value.

Having said all that, and being a bogan myself (albeit not quite as described above), I do quite like the XDs, so don't think I'm bagging them. In fact, I miss my old XE (1st car), despite its 90kw 3.3 being just as thirsty as my 5.0. Also, I can go places faster in Park with the 5.0 compared to the 3.3, which couldn't accelerate downhill. Not that you'd ever know you were going downhill, because the suspension was so jacked up and floaty that it always felt like you were cruising the high seas (in a Roman galley)... and speaking of Roman galleys, they came equipped with more technology than my XE, which I'm assuming used a Flintstones drivetrain!

/rant

·
I love my FORD!
480 Posts
Hahahahaha!

·
Registered
827 Posts
G'day,
I'd skip the XD and go XE. The coil spring arse end is so much nicer, and they ride pretty good on 225.R14's.

XE also had the option of a Large 95L fuel tank for gas guzzling.

Either model, if you open the door and it smells musky, RUN LIKE HELL!! Common problem on them, is that the Wiper Plenum chamber suffers serious Iron ant infestation (rusts!!!) and then they leak like a sieve!

When the cars were only6 years old, i was already doing replacements on them, and the panel was still readily [email protected] $600 each.

It is a major job to repair one rusted in this area, and that is provided you can put your hands on a NOS plenum chamber....a used one makes it even bigger.

Cheers
Jas

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
jas24zzk said:
G'day,
I'd skip the XD and go XE. The coil spring arse end is so much nicer, and they ride pretty good on 225.R14's.

XE also had the option of a Large 95L fuel tank for gas guzzling.

Either model, if you open the door and it smells musky, RUN LIKE HELL!! Common problem on them, is that the Wiper Plenum chamber suffers serious Iron ant infestation (rusts!!!) and then they leak like a sieve!

When the cars were only6 years old, i was already doing replacements on them, and the panel was still readily [email protected] $600 each.

It is a major job to repair one rusted in this area, and that is provided you can put your hands on a NOS plenum chamber....a used one makes it even bigger.

Cheers
Jas

not quite right. the largest tank was 80 litres and available on any v8 equipped car or standard on Ghias regardless of engine size. as for rust, the heritage was continued from earlier x series due to the poor design of the plenum.
as said earlier go for the XE but try and find a ESP, then resale will not have as much effect. good v8 ESP's are now getting excellent resale value.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry JG33,
but XE DID have a 95 L tank option...on ALL models.
Just not in Vic.

Parents had one, North QLD Delivery. Bought new from the local dealer (in Bowen). ALL his XE's were ordered from factory with the long range tank. Dealer in the area has now changed..but anyway..

you learn something new everyday mate :)

Jas

PS car was a 4.1L GL Sedan with air

·
FORD THUNDER DOWNUNDER
79 Posts
I got an 460 XD Fairmont, I love it,,it rocks I got it cause it was cheap $2000 10years ago lol.. then fitted BB, looks cool all money spent on motor trans and running gear.
I am still trying to post picks on the site, to see what ya think

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A Factory 4 speed manual 351 XD in average condition recently went for $5000. There will shortly be an excellent condition XD advertised on the Australian Muscle Car website. It will be interesting to see what it will fetch.

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
jas24zzk said:
Sorry JG33,
but XE DID have a 95 L tank option...on ALL models.
Just not in Vic.

Parents had one, North QLD Delivery. Bought new from the local dealer (in Bowen). ALL his XE's were ordered from factory with the long range tank. Dealer in the area has now changed..but anyway..

you learn something new everyday mate :)

Jas

PS car was a 4.1L GL Sedan with air
i'll assume you're talking LPG, i was talking petrol.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Talking same as you.

Have seen one or two 80 litre tanks here in Vic, but very few.
It was always fun to pull into a full service servo when almost empty, and watch the attendants reactions, as 80 litres goes in, then 85, then 90..

Cheers
Jas

·
socially irresponsible
1,194 Posts
hmm, over the years i have owned 2 XD's and 4 XE's. all have been factory v8's and all have had 80 litre tanks.
on page 10-7-4 of the factory xe repair manual you will see all tank capacities, the largest being 80 litres.

i'm not far from Bowen......nice town.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Haven't been in Bowen since 1984.
Maybe one day one of my customers will pay enough, so i can take a holiday and get back...loved it there.

Of interest, you mentioned V8's. Mums Xe was a crappy 6pot. It'd do Bowen to melbourne, on a fill on departure and one enroute, with one needed on arrival..2 drivers, 24 hours straight...long for a hyperactive kid!

She just stuck her head over to my puter to read the thread...said it was definatley 95 Litres, was saying the servo in town she used to fill at, always asked if she'd been to the bank before filling it (no eftpos then)

Ya know, ya find interesting things all the time, before this conversation, I always thought XD's were 65/80 and XE's were 65/95. That appears untrue, with your info XE is 65/80/95. It is a pity that we let the car go the way we did, as someone like you would probably love a 95 litre tank. (you finances may be stretched to fill it these days tho)

Cheers
Jas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts