Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2 months there will be nowhere near us selling lrp, and we need it my dad's xe. I was wondering what to use as a substitue, like unleaded additives etc?

Thanks
Donno

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Get an unleaded head from an XF.

Wouldn't cost much and you can still use the same intake/exhaust manifolds. If you do the work your self it would only cost $250 or so including all new stem seals, gaskets, etc.

Also remember unleaded engines require a catalytic converter to be installed.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
xdc351 said:
I thought that if you changed your engine, you need to upgrage to the emissions (ie cat converter) that the engine came out with. But if you use the XE bottom end, then the head off a ULP XF - then no cat required. It would be the same if you converted the XE head to ULP, not cat required.

There is also some stuff called flash lube, which does a drip feed into your fuel line, so there is no need to buy an additive every tank. I was going to use this stuff, but I ended up with a set of ULP windsor heads off an XR8 for my mustang. I definately won't be running catalytic converters.

But double check your local RTA/Rego rules first, as each state/territory is different.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
To the best of my knowledge its the fuel, not the engine that requires certain things to be installed. If anyones got some more information i'd love for it to be posted!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
The cat is not required.
Only vehicles post 86 require a cat, any vehicle run on ULP before this date require no cat. If you changed the complete engine to a later model, then yes you would need to comply with ADR's which the later engine complies with.

Many Japanese cars pre 86 are able to run on ULP and do so, they have no cats.

All what is needed is hardened valve seats and stainless valves to use ULP.

Rick.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xdc351 said:
Get an unleaded head from an XF.

Wouldn't cost much and you can still use the same intake/exhaust manifolds. If you do the work your self it would only cost $250 or so including all new stem seals, gaskets, etc.

The car's got 450k on the clock, and is only going to be registered for another 6months, so spending 250 bucks on a head i don't think is really justifyible for a $400 car. Thanks for the idea though. Anybody know about products like valvemaster? Saw an add in RACQ road ahead, but I don't know the costs, and 1 treatment per 20L seems a hassle when you fill it up.

Thanks
Donno

·
3,666 Posts
If LRP is going to be around for 2 months, and you are keeping the car registered for only another 4 months, I'd just run it on LRP until they stop selling it, then run it on ULP or PULP. You are not going to get any decent return for the work you are doing on the car... Drive it till it dies.

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is we don't actually know how much longer we'll have her going for. Its a great cheap run around. Dad swore he was getting rid of it 3 years ago, and its still here, so he wants to keep the engine going as long as possible

Donno

·
3,666 Posts
Look at the flash lube stuff... all under the bonnet, and it meters out it's dosage as you drive. No worries about putting X amount in your petrol tank. I think you get 3-6 months out of a bottle, depending on how far you drive. From memory, it was about 100-130, including the fitting kit, first bottle of stuff, and a local garage to fit it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You can buy a little yellow syringe thing from the servo when you fill your car up, I think its valvemaster. All ya gotta do is squirt it in the tank, 1 syringe full to a tank - too easy. Or, if your car has duel fuel, you could probably run unleaded/premium fine without any additives.

·
3,666 Posts
Pete84 said:
All ya gotta do is squirt it in the tank, 1 syringe full to a tank - too easy.
Have a look closely at the measurements required... I used one, and it was supposed to treat up to 40 litres... If your tank is 60 litres, you need 1.5 treatments for the fuel, and that starts to add up....

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, big help. I think valvemaster + PULP is the go after a chat with the old fart.

Cheers
Donno

·
###AND EDGT DRIVER###
713 Posts
i been running unleaded for years all unleaded have hardered valve seats i have been told even the first 81 model.

the worst case might need a recond head as long as if you hear pinging back the timing off 2deg`s the flash lube i have been told its a waste of time even on lpg.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive been using Flashlube for about six months now and its seems to do the job. I did have a little problem with ping but all I did was play with the timing and all was good.

Now I heard a little story (yeah another story thats probably not worth two bob), that automatic transmission fluid (ATF I think it was) mixed 300:1 with the fuel. This provided the protection to the upper cylinder. Aparently on the brochure that I read, it recommended that lead replacment substitutes should not be used as well as LRP. Then again Ive used both with no problems.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Another point to consider is if the engine only sees 2000rpm or so there won't be much valve seat recession anyway. What compression ratio is the XE? If its closer to 8 than 9:1 you should be ok on normal ULP. Basically you have 4 options:
1. Use PULP
2. Add Valvemaster
3. Install Flashlube
4. Change head or valve seats.

Outlay increases with each step, but so does longevity.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was looking into the situation the other day and found another product that might help you out. Its a bit pricy but im thinking along these lines if I cant get hold of a head that can handle UL

The product is called a prozone fule saver. Its at www.prozone.com.au and basically fits inline with the fuel line going to the carby. It boasts up to 20% reduction in consumption in fuel and a "noticable" increase in power. Sounds a bit too good to be true but im looking into it. For a 4.1L motor, it will set you back approx $190 but they recon they pay for themselfs. Supposed to be good for at least 300,000 Km. I dont know if this is any help for you but if it does what is says, then its definatly cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like a great big con job to me. You'd be better off running on PULP. Lets say this very questionable device did work and could save you "upto" 10 cents a litre (a very exagerated claim) - How long would it take to pay itself off? Filling your car with 80 litres of fuel using this device would save you $8.00. So it would take 23 refills to pay itself off. In reality you can buy LRP for the same price of PULP. And the real difference between ULP and PULP is normally 4 cents (which means it would take 50 refills to pay itslef off). It's only when you buy Optimax that you pay through alot more and rarely does this cost 10 cents a litre more. And, Optimax is only worthwhile in EFI cars that can take full advantage of the 99 octane rating. I then have to wonder if this device wears out or clogs up. I would say it probably does. Finally, if this device is so good there would never have been a need for LRP. The petrol stations could simply shove one of these devices in the nozzle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, Im not too sure. Im speaking to one of my chemical and mechanical engineering lecturers at the University. Its a bit of a dream I think however some of the facts that they claim seem a little too good to be true. Ive also read the satisfaction guarantee over and over about 10 times and think its refund procedure is a bit sus too. Quote (BTW: Im not dumping on the manufacturer here but I thinks its in everyone’s interest.)

(90 Day Customer Refund Procedure)

3. Following test procedures, a full refund will be given by your supplier.

The unit has to be sent back to their labs for testing. I dont know if this is sus or not.

Another thing to note was that it will only be affective for every day use. Something to do with chemically bonding the molecules with the catalyst only having a weak valency bond. This basically means that sitting fuel may cause these molecule chains to break down and will not be treated properly. I need to know more before I can make a decision.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts