Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i'm after some info on XE weber carburettor, the motor's running a bit sluggish at low RPM and i think the carby needs an overhaul, but i'd rather put a bigger carby on if i can... could anyone suggest what other carby i can put on and approx costs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine is completely stock unfortunately, i'm saving for a later model. For 350 Holley would i be looking at 400-500? could you suggest another carby of the same size as the old weber that i could buy knew for 150-200? Is that possible?

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Hume Performance sell 350 Holleys for around $300 plus postage. You could always try Ebay. Why dont you try a Weber of an XF.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats not a bad price, thank's. an XF carby sound's alright, are there any differences at all? i could probably pick one up from the wreckers cheap. will it just go straight on?

·
Registered
548 Posts
My last car was a XE sedan 4.1 auto with a 420 twin barrel holley, i could quite easly go through a set of tyers in a night. Thats why i always had retreads (cheap). The carby only cost me $200 from a wreckers. The only thing was the petrol bill doubled, but god was it a fun car to thrash about in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The webber carby is a far superior product to the holley in this instance, it does have a few minor problems though. At the front of the webber there are two mixture enrichment circuits which can cause a problem after a while, both are vacuum activated and rely on a rubber diaphragm, if the diaphragm perishes over time the enrichment circuit is permanently activated making the car sluggish off the mark once it has warmed up. In my opinion neither of these circuits are required and I have disabled them both in all of my falcons (2 XE's and 3 XF's) One circuit enrichens the mixture when the water jacket temperature is under 76 Deg C (From memory) the other is the "power valve" which enriches the mixture when the manifold vacuum falls below a certain level. On all of my falcons I have also disabled the accelerator enrichment circuit by removing the cam from the throttle shaft, this has had no effect on driveability but has improved economy in each case.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's edv8, sound's to me like a good reason for the sluggishness. Is it a simple process to disable the circuits? Also im all for economy but removing the cam from the throttle shaft doesn't sound like something i could manage, what would i have to do if you don't mind?
Thank's for your advice!

·
Registered
141 Posts
XE Falcon said:
Thank's edv8, sound's to me like a good reason for the sluggishness. Is it a simple process to disable the circuits? Also im all for economy but removing the cam from the throttle shaft doesn't sound like something i could manage, what would i have to do if you don't mind?
Thank's for your advice!
It's all very easy, buy a carb rebuild kit for starters and install most of it. when you come to the power valve diaphragm (it's easy to spot because it has a metal disk on one side and a thin metal rod on the other) you will note that the thin metal rod comes into contact with a ball bearing type valve when manifold vacuum falls below a certain level. Snip the rod off flush with side cutters and install the diaphragm as normal, now the valve cannot be actuated. At this point you may as well leave the other circuit working as the problems only arise here if the rubber is perished and enrichment does not occur at normal running temperature anyway. To remove the cam is a simple process on most webbers, undo the nut on the end of the shaft, slip the cam off and replace the nut. On the later XF's '90-93 utes the cam was crimped on so it's easier to adjust it's profile with a file than it is to re,ove it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
XE Falcon said:
I'm thinking about converting to LPG in the furture. Would i need a different carby?

I've never converted to LPG for a number of reasons, mainly because it's extremely hard to get your investment back, you have to do an enourmous amount of kilometers to make it worthwhile, and secondly if I was chasing economy I wouldn't do it in a Falcon. I have a friend with a new diesel purgeot
who continually craps on about how economical it is, my reply is that at $57000 it's not very economical at all. But I digress, no the webber is ok for LPG.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i'v been lucky enough to get free use of my fathers old XE after he updated a fortnight or so ago, i just take over the rego and maintenence costs. This was untill i got myself a new car, but im considering spending that money on LPG instead and working the motor alittle because it's in excellent condition & dad plans to restore it when he retires, so i can keep it aslong as i like at this stage. So would you have an idea of the cost of converting to LPG & other background info such as powerloss and what cost i'd be looking at to run the 3.3L 6cyl on LPG? Would you recommend extractors and a sports exhaust to help gain the power back, or even just to give alittle more economy and that nice bit of grunt? Thanks

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
To get any power back at all you'll need to do a cam swap. The 4.1's are detuned but the 3.3's are just pathetic.

If you want to get some power out of the engine then I would suggest to get a 4.1, change the cam to one with some balls, 4bbl redline intake manifold, 425 impco gas mixer on a 600 holley base and a 2 1/2" exhaust with extractors.

Provided the bottom end is in good nick, the only change needed with the above mods (aside from the obvious gas installation) would be a new set of valve springs and anti pump-up lifters. Less than $2000 there and it would be eating VT for breakfast!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's bud i like the sounds of this, buy a 4.1 out of an XF or so? and pump it in the XE? would this be an easy swap an what about 300-400 in labour costs? Get the cam changed at the same time and put all these other thing's on including gas, would i be looking at around 5k for all this?

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Definatly go the XF EFI motor, preferably '87 onwards. They are the best starting block. Just rip the EFI gear off it.

For about 7k overall this combo would be knocking on 14's down the quarter and 110+rwkw.

Block: $500
LPG install including carb: $2000
Dizzy regraph: $200
Redline 4bbl: $300
Holley 600 base: $200 (new, cheaper second hand)
Cam, springs, lifters, head gasket, stem seals, and rocker cover gasket: $700
2 1/2" exhaust+extractors: $650
2500rpm stallie and tranny rebuild/manual conversion: $1100
3.45:1 LSD w/disk brakes: $600-1000

Really though if you want decent bang for your buck i'd say go for a V8, but if your keen on a 6 then I reckon this would be the best combo before you need to start looking at a later model block/efi setup. Plus it would cost under $30 a week to punt around in!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Niiice!! i havn't considerd a V8 due to running cost's & insurance but i think i can handle that after the thought of 270 rw hp, what would that be in kw? But im guessing you'v spent a fair bit on the motor also, without being too big a newsance could i ask for some info on the different V8's eg. 302 or 351 :fraz: that will fit & an idea of price, mostly running cost's on LPG.. Thank's, appreciate it.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
No trouble at all. (Sorry in advance for the long post)

A V8 will have far more potential for power but has a far greater tendancy to blow stuff like tranny's and diffs. So you'll need to factor in more $$$ for a tougher driveline if you plan on going the V8 route.

I can say from experience that borg warner LSD's don't have what it takes to deal with my V8 and even a stock 9" has given me problems. Never blew the center up but killed seals/bearings far too easily. Gonna cost me $1500 in the next month or so to fix it up!

A beefed up C4/C10 or a top loader are popular choices, FMX's and single rails can be used but tend to blow up under abuse. C6's are tough but will sap a lot of HP unless you really need one and are mostly seen in F250's and drag cars Anything else will cost $2000 plus.

As far as the engine goes a 302 or 351 cleveland will bolt straight into an XD/XE but require an engineers for use in an XF. If you live in Vic a 351 in an XE is not 'P' plate legal. A tough 302 is not all that hard/expensive and you might get away with a borg warner diff too!

Really the prices are quite similar to that of the 6, some things are more expensive but at the same time there is a stack more high performace cleveland parts floating around that can be picked up second hand for next to nothing. The difference is in the HP!

You might even find an engine cheap in the trading post if your lucky but never believe their claimed power outputs unless they are prepared to have it dyno'd at a dyno of your choice, on the condition that if its within 25HP of their claims you'll buy the engine and pay for the dyno time. But, if it fails, they pay. Watch how many of them crap their pants at this idea. $300 or so is bugger all when your talking about a $6000 engine (in my opinion) and anyone with a genuine engine will not hesitate.

Fuel economy? Well I get 240kms to a full tank of LPG in my 351, which costs me $20 or so, but I only drive at full throttle so better results can be had!

Hope this helps,
xdc351

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yea that help's alot, im basically a complete amature to all this but i'm learning heap's from you, which im very gratefull for.

I didn't realise a 351 would be quite 6k or that i'd need to change the diff over etc, not that i'm surprised at all. But even still the thought of that kind of power and still more economical than the stock engine i have make's it sound so worthwhile. I'v taken the XE on 3 trips to the beach so far & each time put $15 of LRP in the tank for a 70km trip (driving very conservatively) & it uses every cent of that $15. Also the motor's in great condition, not that i know how good an indication this is but it's done 415000 and the oil is still gold.

The body/paintwork/interior etc. is in great con also, alway's garaged, which is why i don't wanna sell & replace with an XE 351 suggested to me. So im considering all the options iv got for either working this motor or replacing it, i'd be willing to spend around 5k for the near future, most probably more in future yr's depending.

With that said, i think i'd be leaning towards a 302 atm as there'd be less modifications and i'm thinking the motor would be less than 6k if that was the price for a 351. The other options i have in mind are firsty a 253 i think they are, i'm not sure whether that's a chev motor or not but it's a V8 right? Or secondly iv read in other post's it's possible to put a 4L out of an EB/D/F/L in these car's with XG Ute engine mount's or something along those lines.. have you heard of this? I think for that option i'd be looking at more than 5k but i would consider it because i know they have enough power for me & running on LPG with extractors and sports exhaust it'd be fairly economical and sound pretty good too, maybe not quite as good as a V8 though good. Plus i could work the motor in the future eg bigger cam, speedchip, thing's i'm yet to learn about...

Your thought's on this would be again greatly appreciated, i don't mean to pick your brains but im keen to work on this car. I'll post a pic i have & take some better one's later if ur interested.

P.S sorry for the long post.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
I'll explain what I ment by a $6000 351 first!

Most of the guys in the trading post asking $6000 for their engine are claiming power outputs of 500hp or so. If your looking at one of these engines, make them put their money where their mouth is. Sorry for any confusion.

You can pick up a 302/351 for $500 (even less) but its likely to be worn and in need of a rebuild. If you aren't going to rebuild it then try to see it running before you buy or get one already in a car so you can see/hear if there is anything wrong with it.

Bolting in a later model I6 is not an easy task and isn't something i'd suggest you tackle if you haven't swapped an engine before. Its not getting it in there thats the hard part, its getting it to work once it is in there thats the hard part. I reckon for the amount it would cost to get going a V8 would be far quicker, easier and cheaper by a few grand at least.

If your after a mildly powerful cheap cruiser with potential for more work to be done later down the track, then go for a mild 351 with a C10 and find a stock LSD diff out of an XE fairmont ghia. If your not driving like a maniac it'll survive no worries. On straight LPG this wouldn't need any pollution gear (check with your local RTA) and would get 300-350kms from a tank worth $20.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts