Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, simple question, can these p/s boxes be adjusted to reduce free play?

I know the conventional boxes could be, but from what I can see my p/s box can't be adjusted. :(

Any answers?

Cheers. :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings X.treeme
have a look behind the r/h/f wheel you will see a hole in the inner guard were the steering box is loosen the locking nut & you can adjust up the steering box with an allen key

just remember to only adjust a little at a time or else you will lock the box up

regards
rod

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rod said:
greetings X.treeme
have a look behind the r/h/f wheel you will see a hole in the inner guard were the steering box is loosen the locking nut & you can adjust up the steering box with an allen key

just remember to only adjust a little at a time or else you will lock the box up

regards
rod
OK cheers. :)

I'll have a quick look now. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm too dark to see much I think, couldn't see much. :p

Edit: Found it :) Don't have a socket big enough to loosen then nut. :(

Gonna have to source one tomorrow I think. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah i'd like to know this too, my XD has about 10deg play in the steering wheel. It might be worn out steering components but i haven't had a look yet. The Gregorys book doesn't talk about it at all, but i've got a Max Ellery book it has a sketch of the steering box and says 'adjusting nut' but the stoopid thing doesn't point to where it is, never buy one of these books!
Cheers,
Adrian.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
yes the XD steering box is the same as the XF

ford had the same principle of steering boses from around XK up to XF

from memory they all have the same adjustment principle

remember when adjusting it in the car turn the steering wheel a little to one side as there is like a low spot in the middle & if you adjust i there it will make the steering to heavy, it doesn't matter how far you turn it 1/4 of a turn will do

regards
rod

·
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO
974 Posts
hey guys um there is another place that u can adjust the steering box other than the one under the guard its ontop of the steering box i used it to fix me free play for roadworthy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts