1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
---stupid questions ahead---

Hey guys and girls,

First time caller, long time listener, so to speak

I just picked up a XF Fairmont last week and i am very happy with it so far (touch wood). An old granny owned it since new so its totally stock standard. its bascially in the condition that it was when it rolled off the production line back in 87. Great starting point for a first car

I always thought i was quite knowledgeable in relation to car bits and pieces. but a few things have me stumped.

1) i am quite ashamed that im asking this, but oh well,
on the bottom half of the middle climate control dial above the radio, there are three options. they look like rectangles with arrows protruding from them. i cant figure out what they are for, what do they actually do.

also, there is a switch next to the radio (on the drivers side). it looks stock standard from the back of the switch, and from the front, and i have no reason to think otherwise. it dosent seem to be doing much though. what is it for.

all the door handles work fine for a change. is there anything i can do to ensure they stay this way?

has anybody put a XG grille onto a XF front. i know you can do it, but does it look good/better than the XF.

thanks

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Question 1
they are the fresh air vent selections. You'll note, one for left, one for right, and one for both.

The switch...would need a piccie!
Only dead switch i know of fitted to XF, was the rear demister in a UTE.

Door handles. The only thing you can do is regular maintenance. Open the door, squat down, and holding the handle up, make sure that everything meshes without binding. If it doesn't forget your mechanic, take it to a panel beater for adjustment.

There are two ways to adjust....lift the door, bending the frame a little, or unbolt the hinge. Bending the door is cheaper.

Do a test and try lifting the door....if it moves easily, then your hinges are shagged and should be replaced.

Also purchase a spare handle for each of the front doors.

Jas

·
Registered
44 Posts
The XG grille does look quite good compared to the low rent XF item, especially on the fairmont. I would suggest doing this conversion, painting it to the correct body colour obviously, and making sure the body colour matched masking lines on the tail lights are painted correctly and it will really clean up the XF's appearance. What colour is it? A friend of mine has an XF Fairmont Ghia, he doesnt know anything about cars, but wanted it to look nice and classy, and asked me if I could help him clean it up a bit. His XF is the metalic burgandy and metalic charcoal two tone in excellent condition. With nice clean, polished snowflake alloys, shiny chrome work, lowered 1.5" front and rear, it looks killer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i had a pair of snowflakes that i salvaged off my old car, they look really smart. Its a silver colour with the red and black pinstripes running down the side. I plan to put a picture up when i can work out how the digital camera works.

also, i mentioned this on xfalcons.com, so i apologise for the people hearing this again,
The XF seats seem to be significantly more closer to the steering wheel than the seats on both my cousin's XE and my dad's EA. I heard a rumour that the unleaded/late run XF's (mine is nov 87 build) were installed with shorter seat runners than other models. is there any merit in this??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts