Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have detailed info on the wiring for the Fuel Guage sender in an XF Falcon?

The manual wiring diagram just shows 3 wires going into the sender.

I need to work out what the three wires do so I can adapt them onto the sender in a ZD Fairlane that has only 1 wire...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but it is likely the two are not compatible. The old ZD probably had a float and arm type fuel sender which only uses one wire to the gauge. The XF certainly used the "floatless" sender that has no moving parts at all. It is just a printed circuit board with two (three??) tinned solder strips on it that is immersed in the fuel and has the three wires conncted to it. I've always wonderd how they work, I think it is on capacitance which means there is some electronic intelligence up in the dash.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but I think you're stuffed, so to speak. Good luck!

BTW, can anyone tell us how the XF (and later) senders sense the fuel level?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It cannot be easily done without a lot of buggerising around! The ZL gauge puts out about 0volts empty, about 4.5volts full : its gauge is a voltmeter. The older stuff uses an ammeter type gauge with the sender in series with the gauge.

I would adapt the guts out of an analogue xf or xe or xd gauge to your old dash. So, the connexions on the zl sender are :
red +12v
black GND
yellow / green OUTPUT.

PM for more info.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oldwagon said:
It cannot be easily done without a lot of buggerising around! The ZL gauge puts out about 0volts empty, about 4.5volts full : its gauge is a voltmeter. The older stuff uses an ammeter type gauge with the sender in series with the gauge.

I would adapt the guts out of an analogue xf or xe or xd gauge to your old dash. So, the connexions on the zl sender are :
red +12v
black GND
yellow / green OUTPUT.
I am wanting to use the electronic dash from the ZL in the ZD, so I need to get the fuel guage working as per the ZL.

The trip computer probably relies on the guage too I guess

I wonder if it is possible to fit the sender from the ZL into the ZD tank...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see no reason you can't use the ZL dash and sender! You will need to make sure the donor and transplant tanks are about the same depth, or you will have big accuracy problems! Just wire up the sender how I said and put the output into the relevant pin on the instrument module harness!

Yes, they do work by sensing the capacitance of the fuel.

AND they come in different lengths (eg the wagon ones are quite short).

They all produce the same output and hook up the same - the only real difference is the depth of the tank they are designed for.

Enjoy!

Kendall.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldwagon said:
I see no reason you can't use the ZL dash and sender! You will need to make sure the donor and transplant tanks are about the same depth, or you will have big accuracy problems! Just wire up the sender how I said and put the output into the relevant pin on the instrument module harness!
I've done a quick check and it looks as though there is enough depth in the ZD tank to take the sender.
There is the small issue of having to cut a hole in the top of the tank to take the sender - I'm reluctant to do that - danger of explosion while cutting the tank and also it may make the car unroadworthy...

Maybe I could make up some sort of electronic trickery to take the varying resistance of the ZD sender and convert it into a voltage output that the ZL dash needs - that should be possible I guess...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZC-Cruiser said:
I think the electronic solution will be the winner - does anyone know the range of resistance from empty to full of the XY/ZD fuel tank sender??
Never mind, I found a spare here and measured it at 13 ohms when full and about 100 ohms when empty

Now I just need an electronics guru to come up with a circuit that can convert that to 0 volts empty to 4.5 volts full - doesn't sound too hard...

·
Registered
78 Posts
XF wagon pump or fuel pickup is in the side of the tank. The gauge sender is still in the top under the spare tyre. Why not make up an adaptor plate so the zl sensor fits where the zd sensor used to be? Should be easy to make!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldwagon said:
XF wagon pump or fuel pickup is in the side of the tank. The gauge sender is still in the top under the spare tyre. Why not make up an adaptor plate so the zl sensor fits where the zd sensor used to be? Should be easy to make!
The ZD sensor is part of the fuel pickup thing in the front of the tank at the bottom.

The ZL sender needs to go in from the top to work...

I think the electronic adaptor is the go - that way neither the ZD tank/sender/pickup or the ZL dash needs to be modified...

Although I will need to add a tube to the ZD sender/pickup unit for the fuel return line and one to the filler tube for the evaporative vent line - still, both of those are minor mods...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done a quick check and it looks as though there is enough depth in the ZD tank to take the sender.
There is the small issue of having to cut a hole in the top of the tank to take the sender - I'm reluctant to do that - danger of explosion while cutting the tank and also it may make the car unroadworthy...

Maybe I could make up some sort of electronic trickery to take the varying resistance of the ZD sender and convert it into a voltage output that the ZL dash needs - that should be possible I guess...
hi, do a search for fuel wizzard on ebay.
mark k

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Hi, krawczuk, that post was from 2005, they've probably forgotten about it by now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
CatSkinner
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing