Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to falcons although have a good mech background in other cars.

I noticed there are heaps of ball joints which control the steering of the XG ute. are there any known common problems that cause heaps of steering slop, you can move the steering wheel about 15 degrees side to side from centre before the wheels move. It also wanders while driving, needing constant steering adjustment.

What are the approximate costs to buy parts and are there any special tricks that a typical home workshop may not be able to do, other than a wheel alignment afterwards?

Cheers

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
I had an XG for a few years.

Eventually replaced all balljoints, bushes, idler arms, etc etc. A bit better but not by much. I wa told that the idler arm (bushes) go about every 6 months if fitted with larger rubber. Remember this basic design dates back to 6" cross plies & pre-radial geometry.

If I had my time over again and was planning on keeping the car I would seriously consider a rack & pinion conversion from these guys.

http://www.rrs-online.com.au/ <= Aussie company

Doesn't cost much more than replacing all the standard components anyway.

·
Packed up and gone.....
879 Posts
Same Here, I had an XG for about 6 months and the steering was the same. I agree with Raptor and will say that if you want to keep the XG, then rack and pinion conversion would make a nice difference

1 - 3 of 3 Posts