Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a few threads posted on this highly informative and fun forum.... I decided to make my ED XR6 breathe a whole lot better.......I highly recommend the XH shorkle upgrade.... I now have a noticably better throtle & pick up responce. The XH intake snorkle has a much bigger throat than the stock cold air intake.....Cost all up was around $50..... and a bit of easy cutting away the old intake mounts off the radiator [ plastic ] shroud....well worth it....even better, I'm scoring a high flow filter for the box this week......so to all those contenplating this cheap & easy mod...it's a no brainer.....just do it...!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Good stuff mate :D

As for other minor mods, a good set of plugs & leads would give you a little more oomph too ;)

-Dave-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, it's all said and done......been on for a while now and have noticed an overall improvement in fuel [ 98 octane ] economy as well.......also, hi to Ghia 5L.....what are a good set of leads & plugs..??... please recommend...I'm using NGK gapped to 1.1..... and the leads are standard Ford. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
98 octane? Have you advanced your timing heaps or something? Assuming you haven't, you might find that 95 works better with your XR6 ;)

I can't really assist you with advice on plugs/leads I'm afraid, I'm a bit slack in the knowledge department there sorry.

-Dave-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95 Octane...?? I thought the higher the octane the better in these Tickford 4.0..? The timing has not been advanced or touched at all.
I had to put regular in once due to no 95 or 98 been temporarily unavailable in my area......it was pinging [ pinking ] quite badly.....why do you advise 95 octane.....thanks inadvance

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Well if it's pinging with 91 then its tune is out, the EB-ED XR6 engine should perform flawlessly with 91RON, and probably marginally better with 95. It's a common myth that the higher the octane rating the better your engine will run with that fuel.

A general rule of thumb to follow is that whatever your engine compression ratio is, multiply it by 10 and that's the octane rating that'll suit your engine. If your engine is 9:1, then 91 octane will do for example.

Running on 98 might be fouling your plugs and oxy sensor due to the fuel being too rich. Falcons run rich under factory settings anyway, the last thing you want to do is to richen the mixture further.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
homad!

Yeah I do (when I'm bored), but this place is dead now eh...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Damo isn't banned ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my ute from a lad that worked at ford.. All tickford blocks have to run 95 min..
the heads are different from standed.. mine pings like shit with 91.. so i either fill up with 95 and add octane or 98. the luxury of having a ute that was optioned with a 75ltr tank.
i go broke filling it !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
96Xr6
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing