Ford Forums banner

XH ute dyno graphs (DEV kits)

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Soxx 
#1 ·
I've just finished laying a pile of dyno runs onto the same graph.
2 cars, a 95 EF XR8 5spd, and a 97 XH I6 5spd.
The XH shows a progression of mods.

Same dyno, 2 runs were even the same day.

It can be viewed here -
http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au/dynograph.html

Rick.

#2 ·
good to see the improvment there soxx.

were all runs done on the same dyno with the same operator?

if so, you can see the mock kits do actually maje great improvements

good work buddy

cheers.joe.

#3 ·
Excellent nice to see some great results.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, it feels very lively on the road, comes on with a nice rush above 4000rpm, which shows on the graphs compared to the other curves.
I should also mention to those that don't know, the engine did get a freshen up between the DEV3HL and DEV5 curve. I fit an AU bottom end and had it balanced.
How much this gave it power wise, I don't know, though probably not a great deal as stock AU's don't knock your socks off on dynos either.

Rick.

#9 ·
mate, i reckon that 6 would smoke a gen 3 :p great stuff soxx and nice of you to show us where the performance gains lie :hy: :s6: greatly appreciated!!!

#10 ·
Thats good figures you got there Soxx. I guess you've now answered my question in that i should get a theoretical 160kw at the wheels if i had the Dev 5 package fitted to my XR6 being a manual.

Interesting to see that your car put out more power in standard than an EF XR8 manual.

Cheers,
Gary.

#12 ·
very interesting to see the curves with and without the BBM fitted, the switching point is very obvious, though it seems the bigger the cam the less it is influenced by the runner change...before fitting the DEV5 did you play around with the switching rpm at all? and do you have any idea how much hp a DEV5 head flows? with my planned setup im hoping to get the same RWKW figure as you, but if my head is more restrictive i dont know if it will be possible...

you should be very happy with that result as well Soxx- and here i am bagging the stock computer in most of my posts because its hard to get gains from :D do you think there will be any benifit in a unichip or aftermarket management? what are the A/F ratios on the last run?

#13 · (Edited)
Rollin -
The BBM switching point felt very apparent when driving too. I'm wondering if cams were slightly different between BBM engines and non BBM engines.
I didn't chang switching rpm as it's fixed with the ECU, unless you know something I don't?

I don't know if a unichip would help or not, Brendan from JMM seemed to think it wouldn't do much.
I should point out that whilst idle is acceptable, it isn't perfect. When warm and running for a few mins, it's fine. However when first started (when already warm) it does hunt for a min or so and then settles to a steady idle.
I'm not too concerned as it is still very good, and doesn't stall, even when the A/C is on.
Perhaps a unichip would make the idle perfect.
Lets face it, what engine has a perfect idle when bigger cams and such are fitted? Just have to think back to carbureted engines....

A/F ratios were between 12 and 13 right through with the DEV5.

My next mission is to improve on the air inlet to the air box, I may punch a hole on the bottom of it and run a 3" flexy pipe to the brake duct on the front bar.

Rick.

#16 ·
Thats great stuff soxx ive just joined the forums today and its good to see that ur happy with the result although i would have expected a little more power ur ute is manual yhe? last month i got 160rwkw's with a dev-5 on my ed auto with the jmm race sereis headers. which i was very happy with im also looking to do the ef intake manifold conversion and put a manual in it as well can the manifold conversion be performed easily or is it hard?

#17 ·
Beastford -
Not sure of engine power, but I suspect somewhere between 220kw and 230kw at a guess.

EDFPV-6 -
Yes my ute is a manual, though I don't have the race series headers, just there standard ones. That may be worth a couple kw.
In any case, dyno discrepancies (or more accurately, dyno operators) have to be taken into account.

Rick.

#20 ·
Soxx... i forgot to mention... do u honestly think puttin the bbm is worth all the stuffin round , i could be gettin one of a wrecked ef for free with all accesories

#21 ·
Beastford -
Ford underated he I6 and overated the V8. The I6 is a much more efficient engine the Windsor. The Windsor only startde to feel lively when it reached the AU XR8 series 2 when it had 200kw, which was still only around 145rwkw, but at least it felt like it had some balls.

Supa ROO -
I would do it again, so I guess the trouble of fitting it, is worth it.
You will need to chase up a EL ECU though.
It doesn't change top end power however, just midrange, as the short runners are almost identical in length to the standard manifold, the long runners are almost twice as long.

Rick.

#23 ·
I didn't chang switching rpm as it's fixed with the ECU, unless you know something I don't?
no mate - there are a couple of people up here that have done the conversion who used a shift light style device hooked up to the vacuume switch, they havent done the full computer conversion - i thought thats what you might have done, but if its running off the stock comp then i dont think its possible.

i have noticed that you can also tell the BBM changeover point because the exhaust note changes slightly too, noticed that on lukey039s car and my mums EF fairmont, when it had an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

#24 ·
Rollin -
I did initially use a shift light for the BBM until I found a EL manual ECU.
The shift light worked ok but the timing wasn't ideal, the new ECU made a small but noticable difference, and of course it had no problems with pinging.

I have to say, I don't notice the exhaust change, but then I've never really been listening for it.

I do know it has sounded much the same up until the DEV5, now it is reminicent of some of the stronger I6 drag cars I knew at EC.

Rick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.