Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm having a big problem with my ute, It's a 96 xh longreach 4L auto. It all started a week ago..... Was going for along drive and it tired cutting out so I put my boot up it and seem to clear until..... afew kms up the road it blew the middle muffler to bits died and wouldn't start, Towed home only about 400kms lol went out a couple of days later and cut the muffler off and tired starting it, It started but i couldn't rev it at all, Have changed the dizzy, spark plugs, tps, afm and have tired doing the self diagnosic but not getting any readings. Help please... I can not afford to be pulling more hair out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cat has been cut out a couple years back, has straight pipe from manifold down to where middle muffler was and I cut just before, Was thinking muff imploded before exploded

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yer the dizzy was changed by a auto sparky so would hope he done it right first time lol, Question now is... I'm trying to do self dianosic on it and not getting any reading, Have put a mutimeter, make a light and I have a battery tester with + n - and not getting anything? Help still needed this awesome ute is making me pull more hair then I want to lose but on the + side is making me drink more hahahahaha:beerbottl:beerbottl:beerbottl:beerbottl:beerbottl:beerbottl

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I should have said, I'm in christchurch nz. Utes cat got cut out about two years back and has been running mint, This just seems odd that the muffler exploded has no revs and no codes from self dianosic. Is there any other way of trying to get codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, Yes I am getting power and have done it right for self dainosic, also put timing light on it and is reading right, However I did notice if I tired starting with a flick of the key, It would start but die within a second or so, If I turned the key on and off 4-5 times and let pump prime that 4-5 times it stays running a lot longer, But still cannot rev it, Is this a fuel pressure problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have key on engine off and not getting any codes, I started it with priming 5 times and had my timing light on crank, Kick into life and timing is bang on before it died. Primed it again 4-5 times and checked timing again and is where it should be, I am now thinking fuel reg however I have never heard of a fuel reg blowing a muffler and why am I not getting a reading from ecu? I have followed and done reading the right way, And thanks for taking the time to help

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
checked timing again and is where it should be
Probably not. You need the engine at normal operating temperature and then you ground the STI terminal of the diagnostic port, and then the self test function, if working, will cause an initial temporary increase in engine revs to 1300/1600 rpm then after a few seconds it goes through all the self diagnosis test which takes about a minute then it will slow to a timing rpm (which will be different than the initial start up revs) and you can use the timing light to check base timing. If this isn't happening (not going into diagnostic mode) you cannot set the timing correctly with a timing light.

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
May also be a Smartlock issue. Leave key on for 40 minutes and if it then starts its a faulty immobiliser. Check interior light fuse globe and fuse as they are part of immobiliser circuit.

However, it seems more likely that the timing has suddenly changed which would explain the blown exhaust (build up of fuel then explosive firing of unburnt fuel in exhaust system); perhaps the timing chain guide has snapped and the timing chain has skipped a link or the harmonic balancer rubber damper has failed (this will cause the ECU to constantly try and adjust the timing to get rid of the resulting engine vibration - any evidence of perishing or movement - does it align with the other pulleys?), loose distributor cap or rotor or distributor gear has partially failed (missing tooth). The spout signal at the distributor may be missing or weak (this will cause a intermittent no fault code situation and a situation where the engine will go to start then switch of when letting key off start). See Ford EEC-IV/TFI-IV Electronic Engine Control Troubleshooting while a US Rangers site the theory and testing practises apply to our cars too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts