Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tempo L Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe i am wrong here but the Xr5 has the same HSC engine as the tempo and topaz...(Correct me if i am)

The Xr5 has a redline of 7000rpm?

The tempo has a redline of 5500rpm?

Why is there a difference between the two?

I am sure there's a logical reason... Just curious as to what it is.

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts
Rev Limits

The year of the car is what is a factor of whehter or not it has a rev limiter. 1990 and newer Tempo/Topaz have rev limiters and speed governers. My 1988 XR5 could achieve 7000 RPM because it had no limiters and because it was modified and a few other reasons. After 1989, all HSC and after 1992, all V6 too all had 5500 RPM rev limiters and 120MPH speed governers. Before 1989, there was essentially no limiters.

·
1FABP31U7PK124598
9 Posts
I am not 100% sure about the 5500 rpm rev limiter on my Vulcan because the tach needle is over 5500rpm when the rev limiter kicks in. I think it's more like 5650 rpm.

Thanks,
Marzocchi

·
"Custom" 94 Tempo
21 Posts
Ok what am I missing here? Now I'm probably wrong by saying this, but wouldn't this mean that if you removed that rev limiter from a stock 1990+ HSC that it would become an XR5 engine? Is the rev limiter the only difference between a stock HSC and an XR5?

If this is the case (which it is probably not) then why can't I just remove my rev limiter (if it's actually possible) and transform my car into an XR5?

Al

·
Ford Member
21 Posts
the model is'nt the major factor, it's the YEAR, 90+ cars have a rev limiter at 5500, 89-84 have no limiter except when the piston fries out through the hood.

·
HO V6 XR5i
118 Posts
Yup

Kakita is right. Year model (ie Tempo/Topaz, XR5/GLS, etc) doesn't mean anything. 1990-1994 Tempos/Topaz/XR5/GLS/LTS/GL/L/LS/GS all had rev limiters and speed governers. just like all models before 1990 did not have one. A Topaz XR5 is essentially the same as a Tempo GLS with some styling differences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts