Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows how this combination will react? We've got an XR6 cam (from an EB) laying around so we're gonna experiment throwing it in a CFI motor. If it wont idle we'll just swap it back and if it does we'll see how it goes!

Gonna probably do it tomorrow night, we're not expecting any extreme power gains from doing this but wanna find out if it'll work for fun

·
Registered
237 Posts
please keep us posted how it goes.. as i would love to know as i have one sitting here too and wasn't going to do it until i goto mpiis

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
I've heard that the cfi doesn't react well to cam changes. You will have to convert it to mpefi to get it to idle steady and run smooth. Maybe some1 can shed some light on this.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The CFI manifold doesn't really pull enough air through to use a cam.....
You should try MPFI as well.

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the cam is in and the thing idles! The idle doesnt sound lumpy or even cam like, give it a rev and it responds a whole heap better than it used too, nothing overly impressive though. We then took it out for a squirt, thought nothing much of it until you revved past 4000rpm, the thing then felt like it pulled better than it used too and in 3rd gear at 130-140 you nail it you can feel it pull really well (compared to before the cam)

Overall it wasnt a huge improvement, just improved the resposiveness and made it feel less doughy.

The other mods that have been done to the car we experimented on are:
Pacemaker extractors with 2.5" cat and exhaust (press bent)
5 speed conversion
and modified the Tennis Racket to hold a 351 V8 air filter element

Only took us an hour to do so we thought why not, instead of the cam laying around being forgotten its a got a home now

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, that wont be happening, the car we did it too (which isnt mine) is probably going to be sold or made into a full on SPL car in about 6 months time so engine modifications are out of the question to save on money. I got the cam for nothing and it's just sitting around so we threw it in to see what happens.

This now does open the question of how far you can go with a cam in a CFI motor, the XR6 cam behaves exactly like a standard cam except the resposiveness is a whole heap better and pulls cleanly and solidly up too 5,500rpm.

I know there are better gains by just going to multipoint but why not try for something different, especially if you're on gas on a CFI, I've heard alot of things about the old 250 crossflows gettin some ponnies running on straight gas and they have a similiar set-up. Also another member of the club who worked for Ford was telling me about going a straight gas conversion on CFI with a suited cam etc, might be something to look into if someone is after something different. But ultimately I know that if you're looking for big power gains you're gonna need to go multi-point first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts