Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I read that Ford were working on factory performance enhancements for the I6 engine - maybe supercharging...
Also heard that they (Ford) have a guy working full time on that particular idea.

Anyone know anything else on this?

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,

I heard that one too.

Wonder what we'll see first - the SOHC head + supercharger or the DOHC?

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Didn't Ford already develop a 24V DOHC I6 at the same time as the AU they just shelved it and it hasn't been used yet?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yes that was another strong rumour at the time!

Bob I must show you the error of your ways and get you into eight cylinder motivation;)

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
i can say for a fact that there will be a Turbo DOHC and that DOHC is meant to be standard across the AV range

DOHC was actually designed for EA but was too expensive. It is only now that is will become reality due to the need for more KW, more efficiency and perhaps to keep inline (so to speak) with Holdens upcoming V6

Interestingly magnas V6 is only SOHC

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by HSE2

Bob I must show you the error of your ways and get you into eight cylinder motivation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know about that Ian - I know of a 6 that did away with a few 8's a couple of weeks ago;)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeah but I wasn't there was I ;) And the way things are going the 20th won't see my car attending either:(

That is great news about the six there Turbo
But it is 8 for me!

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Must admit, I'd have an 8 if I had the $'s......

Maybe the next time:?:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Yeah 8 cylinders it is for me too, call me a knuckle dragger if you wish, I don't care! V8's are great to me!:D :wink2:

·
Ford Europe Wannabe
754 Posts
can anyboy help me out

I wanted to know when the motoring section comes out in the sydney morning hearald newspaper?

Is it a good read or a waste of time like The Australian?

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Friday from memory, but don't quote me on that. can't afford to buy papers gotta catch the news on the TV whenever possible.
Stupid uni!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Yeah i have to say i don't mind both. Because i think of it this way if ford came out with the DOHC Turbo making 240kw+ then there V8's gotta even more power. V8 in ford is always going to be the go faster engine than the 6.

:D :D :D :D

Hmmmm i can imagine if ford had an XR6 with dohc turbo, i reckon with a few mods (the usual turbo stuff blowoff valve intercooler) "look out GTS-T Skyline" and seeeya WRX.

:D :D :D

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
TurboDOHC said:

DOHC was actually designed for EA but was too expensive. It is only now that is will become reality due to the need for more KW, more efficiency and perhaps to keep inline (so to speak) with Holdens upcoming V6
Indeed Ford did have a DOHC for the EA, but the problem was it required high revs to become effective, the then 3.9 I6 gets rough at higher revs so the benefits of 4 valves wasn't there. The next step was to drop it onto the 3.2, but that only bought the 3.2 up to 3.9 power output levels so the bangs per buck just wasn't there.

I would be surprised if Ford do use a DOHC on the 4.0 due to the cost and minimal benefits, especially in conjunction with forced induction. Then again, it could be good for marketing reasons
:mmm:

Kieron

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
TurboDOHC said:
can anyboy help me out

I wanted to know when the motoring section comes out in the sydney morning hearald newspaper?

Is it a good read or a waste of time like The Australian?
I also think it is Friday but wouldn't put money on it

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I am struggling with the six putting out some of these claimed power figures. I have no doubt that the motor can be made do it, but I still believe product cars in the form of Holdens and Fords won't exceed the 300 power mark "officially" for some time. Surely a 240kw six has to put the question of the viability of the 8 under question again

·
BA XR6T
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
240Kw from a 4L six is still only about 80bhp/litre - certainly well within the high reliability envelope for such an engine.

I've seen a few write-ups on blown or turboed I6 engines putting out that sort of power.

I guess if Ford produce a six with these sort of figures then they'll be looking a much higher output from the V8 ;)

Give us the power Mr Ford...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
12 Participants
TE54
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing