Ford Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys what is the go with the exhaust on the XR6 VCT???

While we where at Eastern Creek last weekend a number of us had the opportunity to look under one. That exhaust setup "standard" is something different..

Can anyone explain it to me and why it is built the way it is????

Nipper...

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Nope, it looked like it was a dual system all the way to the back and then one pipe comes out the back like normal and the other pipe bends up behind the bumper and is blocked with a plug!!

The guy said it came out of the factory like this and has not modified it

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
hmm, I wonder if theres any differences between the VCT head and the regular AU OHC head in terms of port shape, size, etc..

·
Registered
453 Posts
XLR8 said:
Nope, it looked like it was a dual system all the way to the back and then one pipe comes out the back like normal and the other pipe bends up behind the bumper and is blocked with a plug!!

The guy said it came out of the factory like this and has not modified it
The second pipe that is blocked with a plug is for damping out the exhaust pulses ie. to make it quieter and also flow more efficient.
It works exactly the same as the little pipe that comes of the side of the intake tube on the EL and AU V8's between the MAF meter and the throttle body. This one quietens down and allows the intake air to flow more efficiently

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
mbrown42 said:

The second pipe that is blocked with a plug is for damping out the exhaust pulses ie. to make it quieter and also flow more efficient.
It works exactly the same as the little pipe that comes of the side of the intake tube on the EL and AU V8's between the MAF meter and the throttle body. This one quietens down and allows the intake air to flow more efficiently

so if you unblocked it you get a louder exhaust, but possibly a loss of power????

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
I don't think power will be lost. I have read somewhere that noise and drone suppression is the main reason why there is an extra pipe with a plug.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I mentioned this setup a while ago. I spoke to Tony at Tickford and he was sure that there is no power to be gained by opening the second pipe (apparently more than a few people have done it). The pipes are tuned like mbrown said and it works well even stock.

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the information.... Well at least I know why and what it is for now...

Nipper...

·
Early Ford Member
277 Posts
One of the Hondas has the same sort of thing. Just a 10 cm pipe sticking out of the side of the exhaust pipe, blocked off. They reckon an extra 10kW, I reckon it's just B.S.

·
Long live the AU!!
573 Posts
Hang on, I have an AUII XR6 VCT ute, and it dont have a twin system, just one pipe all the way to the back! Whats the go with that??

·
Craving Boost
129 Posts
The utes are usualy different. I have an 97 xh falcon ute, the front end is ef with nearly the same interior as an xd ute. the utes are usualy a few years behind.
Cheers

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Just to add a bit of confusion to the mix, some of the very early VCT's (like mine) actually had the twin tips like the XR8 when they came out of the factory! And yes, it is a weird setup and no, theres no major power increase to be gained by unblocking it.

And on a side note, be very aware that thowing on extractors will usually make little difference to the VCT's power either! I'have been looking at this for over a year now and have been very surprised with the "quirks" that the VCT engine has presented.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts