Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
Sound's like the T win's all aspect's when put up againt's the eight's of the falcon and the commy for the need's of our constable's,they may as well just buy them they dont need to justify the purchase of the T's to us.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also it looks to be the BA XR6 Turbo price has gone up again. When they first came out they were $43,965 now they are $46,005 . Also the Holden VY II has gone up anther $500. VY I SS $49,490, VY II $49,990 now VY II $50,490. Why the price rise on all these cars??

·
Registered
328 Posts
Elliot I think the difference is the cost of the Premium Brake Package that is fitted to the Police XR6T's.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
There is a further factor working against the Commodore: the high cost of tyre replacement and the frequency with which they need to be replaced.

The cost of replacing the 18-inch tyres on the Commodore SS is close to $2000 per set and because of their low profile and high grip level they wear out more quickly.
So there is a reason why Ford decided against standard 18s on the XR series!

Good to see the Ford army is gaining numbers.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It isn't just the size of the wheels on the SS that causes problems. The suspension on the SS particularly the rear set up (i.e. absolutely prehistoric IRS) means that the front tyres work a lot harder than they do on the Falcon.

Every test that I have read (Falcon v Commodore) has noted that the front hoops on the Commodore get torn to shreds because of the work they are forced to do. The SS gets it handling and grip from it's tyres, the XR6T and XR8 get their grip from both tyres and their suspension design.

Typical that it's the tyre size getting blamed rather than the antiquated suspension set up used by Commodore. I just wish I knew how Holden's marking department does it!!

·
Now driving an XF Falcon.
1,042 Posts
There is a further factor working against the Commodore: the high cost of tyre replacement and the frequency with which they need to be replaced.

The cost of replacing the 18-inch tyres on the Commodore SS is close to $2000 per set and because of their low profile and high grip level they wear out more quickly.
What that doesn't take into account is how the cars are driven, as well as the difference in the suspension setup. I've seen quite a few commy police cars frying the rear bags coming out of side streets or at a set of traffic lights. I'm not saying that they don't do this in Falcon cop cars too, just that I havn't seen it. Also, sadly, the majority of young police, if they have any interest in motorsport, are probably holden fans, and so are probably more likely to give the common-doors a thrashing.

My 2 cents worth, feel free to demand change.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Well apparently the AU XR8 cop cars went through too many diffs, thats why they switched to a predominatley Holden highway fleet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
They probably wont be getting used by WA cops, who apparently are to dumb to figure out how to change gears on the auto...

·
Banned
421 Posts
"Ford insisted that the standard brakes were more than adequate, adding that they were "over-engineered" for the basic Falcon. "

Hmmm....thats why my brakes have been machined 3 times in 15,000kms in mainly sedate suburban driving. Ford need to stop the bull$%^!!! The reason they need premiums is cause the fleet would spend so much time in service getting the brakes machined every 5000kms.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
XRSIK said:
"Ford insisted that the standard brakes were more than adequate, adding that they were "over-engineered" for the basic Falcon. "

Hmmm....thats why my brakes have been machined 3 times in 15,000kms in mainly sedate suburban driving. Ford need to stop the bull$%^!!! The reason they need premiums is cause the fleet would spend so much time in service getting the brakes machined every 5000kms.

Then explain why i've given my BA XR6 hell through braking, and the only thing my car suffered from was extended brake travel through pad wear and burnt brake fluid which occured because it got water in it and lowered the boiling point enough to boil and create air pockets.

Replaced the fluid and my brakes are almost back to new (just need some new pads now). I can guarrentee that the standard brakes are over-engineered because at a defensive driving course I was able to out brake and out handle a WRX STi with brembos in my BA XR6 on taxi-pack brakes.

Thus its my belief that the reason why the brakes are stuffing up so often is people ride the brakes too often in autos, even without knowing it. In the manual you can limit your speed far easier with the gears. Riding the brakes in such a heavy car is very very likely to warp your discs.

But thats my opinion because warped discs haven't happened to me, and most people would consider that my brake system has been to hell and back and recovered fine. I love the taxi-pack brakes for the effeciency, however i love the brembos and premiums for their look.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
You might have a good point there ian...I wonder what the breakdown is for people who have suffered "the shudders" whether they have auto's or manuals.

Obviously we cant find out all, but at least the members on here who have suffered it can give a rough indication who has suffered it with autos or manuals.

For starters, my brother-in-law happens to have an auto.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts

A pic I took on a recent trip to Ballarat. The cop thought the car was a pile of poo to say the least. He could definitly catch people but he couldnt stop or handle apparently.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Its got nothing to do with autos and manuals, its the casting of the rotors thats the problem. Both of my XR8's have had no problems with brake shudder. Its wether you get one with the poorly cast rotors or not that will determine wether you get brake shudder or not.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
NZ said:
[
A pic I took on a recent trip to Ballarat. The cop thought the car was a pile of poo to say the least. He could definitly catch people but he couldnt stop or handle apparently.

Then I can tell you the cop doesn't know how to drive it properly.

The BA's are miles different in handling characteristics (including braking) over the AU. If you just go fanging the car into a corner as you would have in an AU it will understeer - I know i've owned both and driven both fairly hard. The BA is a different kettle of fish as far as turn in goes but once you get the hang of it (its hard to describe) it just grips a mile better and you can push the loud pedal harder.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
RICHO said:
Typical that it's the tyre size getting blamed rather than the antiquated suspension set up used by Commodore. I just wish I knew how Holden's marking department does it!!
Well not exactly, in the article it says that the police are reverting to 17inch wheels as replacing the 18's on the SS so often costs so much. I guess over the years as the SS gets firmer bush's/extra rear control arm and now the tower brace has stiffen things up to the point where the front tyres take the tool even more. I believe the SS despite being 18's still retains a width of 235 as opposed to the Ford 18's where they are shod with 245's.

Overall the article is an interesting read as i will be in the market for any of these 3 cars in the near future.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts