Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I've nearly hit the 5000km mark in my BA XR8 & just wondering if i should look at changing the engine oil to another type/brand. I'm not to sure what the Ford supply, but i guess there would be better around? Any recommendations for what type put in next?

Cheers

Memphis.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
About now you can use a synthetic oil if they ahn't already..
My last oil change I used Fuchs 5/50.But any oil synth or blend thats sold in repco/ Auto one would be o/k...The main thing is to change oil and filter OFTEN !!!With out going into brands etc....

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
memphis said:
G'day,

I've nearly hit the 5000km mark in my BA XR8 & just wondering if i should look at changing the engine oil to another type/brand. I'm not to sure what the Ford supply, but i guess there would be better around? Any recommendations for what type put in next?

Cheers

Memphis.
done mine at 2000klm dealer used mobil s, had it done again at 7500klm Herrod used Helix semi synthetic and when i hit 15000klm i do it again.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
i believe ford use a full synthetic oil for the BA V8's... I've got 29000kms and its serviced every 7500kms... oil and filter and the little things...

·
Registered
49 Posts
7500ks oil & filter, shell helix 10W30 Syn, do it yourself & save on the cost of Clearasill, dont forget to check the air filter.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Yep, Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40 synthetic, and the mandatory filter. I done this when just on 8k after a change at 1k and 3k by the dealer.
6.2 litres, so it becomes a reasonably expensive change. 2x 5L [email protected]$48 each and $30 for motorcraft filter from Ford. At least the next change will only cost $78.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just a question

if I change the oil myself will it affect warrenty?!
for example if I stick with the Ford book every 15,000 and Do it myself for the middle one, will my warrenty still hold?!
thanks guys.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I guess it shouldn't effect warenty Kypez. If you use oil that's up to spec, and the right filter,(I always use the Motorcraft ones), I can't see the problem. Gotta be better than not doing it at all surely. At least I only put in what was required, 6.2L which got me a millimetre over the full line, Vs what was in it from the last Ford service...about 1/2 way from empty to full OVER the full line! 'Spose that was better than not enough like Jason_m9's drama in the oil level thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting really as far oil is concerned, When I had the 3K service they looked at me oddly and said you dont need to, I said change it anyway. I notice that GT's are using 0-40w now castrol, and the manaul for my XR (BA) is 10-30..I pressume it is ok to use the 0-40 in the 260kw beast. I get my oil, filter changed ever 10K, rather than push it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts