Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 07/99 AU XR8 (185 KW) The car goes great but is very thirsty! On a full tank (68 litres)I get about 340 km. This is with regular unleaded. Is it better to use premium unleaded? Will I get better fuel economy? What kind of fuel economy are the rest of you guys getting? Thanks!

G

·
G'day BigD.

My manual EL2 XR8 can get over 650km on a tank on long highway stretches, more like 400-450km normal driving. If I really hammer things for the whole tank, closer to 300km!!

The only advantage I've seen, economy wise, between normal and PULP is that on longer highway stretches, you'll get further with PULP. I haven't noticed much difference in stop-start conditions.

Mike

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

I have a ED XR8 (manual) and I get about 450km per tank, using shell optimax. (regular city driving)
Before when I used other PULP I would get about 400 - 420km per tank.
When I used regular unleaded I would be lucky to get 380km's.

Highway driving is really good. Pop it into 5th, put the cruise on, and get from sydney to canberra on 3/8th's of a tank.

:)
Kelli S

·
Registered
32 Posts
In sydney traffic etc, with some freeway driving, I get around 380 - 400km on a tank (till the red light comes on). That's with the 185 motor, ULP, and giving it a bit of stick every once in awhile.

I was getting around 320km, but it came right up since I replaced the spark plugs. I used NGK plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the official word on XR8 fuel consumption from Tickford. The customer service guy- Tony was quite helpful. Here is what he wrote:

The fuel consumption figures for the 185kw XR8 are quoted as approximately
13L/100km city and 8.5L/100km highway. Obviously this is affected by
individual driving style, but this is a pretty good indication of the
efficiency of this engine. PULP (Premium) does cost a little more at the
bowser, but we are hearing reports that the engines run better, idle
smoother, and achieve a better km range per tank....sounds like a worthwhile
investment.

I hope this has answered your questions. Happy Motoring.

Regards,
Tony Chesterman
Customer Technical Assistance
Tickford Vehicle Engineering
Phone: (03) 9300 7100

G

·
City driving especialy is very much depend on right foot.Keep in as higher gear as you can, you'll be suprised how high a gear you can drive in.You did not say what transmision you have?Check plugs and leads too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I HAVE A AUII XR8 ( 200 KW ) AND DRIVE IT TO WORK EVERY DAY ( FROM CENTRAL COAST TO BEROWRA) HAVE A PRETTY HEAVY RIGHT BOOT AND GET BETWEEN 500 AND 520K'S OUT OF A TANK OF PULP HAVEN'T TRIED REGULAR TO GIVE ANY COMPARISON

·
Registered
47 Posts
What sort of fuel economy do you guys with XR6s get? I'd like to get an idea of how much worse on fuel an EL2 XR8 is compared to an XR6. I am thinking here that I will be going back to being a poor uni student in a year or so and don't want to be eaten out of house and home driving an hour there and back every day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi hehehe
EL2 XR6 commuting to work every day. Sydney surburban traffic uses 14 to 15 l/100km. However on return trip from Melb over XMas achieved 9.5l/100km, set cruise control on 110km (or there abouts ahem!), on ULP.

Regards

G

·
Hi Every1,
I have an XR8 EL2 and run it only on pulp, city driving I get 500k-530k (depends if my wife's driving) and on the road 650k-700k, (but once my wife left it 4th for 150k that wasn't good). We find the car runs and idles very smoothly, pulp is an extra 7-9 cents, but once you add the extra ks and less wear and tear on the engine, it's cheaper in the long run. cya on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just tested my AU XR8 on fuel economy comparing Shell Optimax and regular Unleaded fuel (not premium).

During regular city driving the AU managed 345 kms on a 68 litre tank. That's 19.7 litres per 100 km.

Using Optimax I managed 415 kms on a 68 litre tank. That's 16.4 litres per 100 km.

It still seems a bit thirstier in comparing it to other XR8s so next service I'll certainly get them to check things out (leads, plugs etc).

But from my little experiment it's safe to say that even though Optimax is dearer it still pays to use it in the long run.

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
Personality, I think that the fuel comsumptions figures that car companies give out are a load of shit. Becasue you can never acheive it. Like My AU Falcon S uses around about 16l/100kms in a start stop city driving from Balgowlah to Mosman. When I first had the car I was running those figures driving to Frenchs Forest which is 10 minutes away with 5 mins in an 80km Zone no lights....

I asked ford to do a fuel test on my car and the said that it was ok... they never refilled my tank after that.

But I haven't done the Balgowlah to Frenchs Forest Fuel Comparsion test to see if I get any different with the new exhaust system

But all I know is that on the Highway I was running 10L/100kms and now I am able to acheive around 8L/100KMs.

We all know that in City driving we are going to get shit fuel compsunption..

So the final question is, Why did you buy an XR8 if you are worried about how thristy she is??

G

·
Black S

I know exactly what your saying about the S's fuels consumption. My S is just as bad around town, averaging between 15-16.5L/100km. On the freeways it does a lot better. As you would expect Ford doesn't want to know about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats pretty shite, is your car still new?
After it has run in then fuel consumption should come down.
My XR6 didnt actually felt run in until 15k and consumption went down to a litre. Still pretty thirsty around town 12-14L/100km ULP city. Also depends on your driving, choosing a good lane or wise driving helps alot.
I use a 2 and 1 cycle where I fill up twice with ULP and once PULP. Works well but still we got a low petrol price compared to a couple of months ago I fill up with PULP.
I found that everytime I filled up with BP the engine runs rough and less kms, Mobil is acceptable, Shell is better than Mobil. Havent tried Caltex yet as there arent too many around here or come across.
Here's my latest fuel consumption of 12.3-12.7L running on Optimax. Combined city and country with Air Con on 90%. 5 people half the time and floored more than a dozen times.
If you want to do the math... got around 450km for 56-58L.

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
Hi Kon,

yeah i sent Ford an email.. got a reply like 2 weeks later..

the organised a fuel test, which al Titan ford did was drive it around town and say.. yep shes alright.. there u go an empty tank.

they ahve done emissions test on it b4 the exhaust. but the said that it was ok.

but all i can is that the only time she is going back is for any warranty problems

·
Registered
10 Posts
G'day one and all,

I'm new to this site and have a AU XR8 Auto. Can't tell any fuel usage as yet as I'm having too much fun. Last decent car was a 1971 ZD Fairlane 351 slightly worked, but lots of fun. Out of interest my run about car is a 1987 XF 4.1 5 speed(don't hold it against me). If I use BP ULP I get aprox 120 km for 20 liters, using caltex or shell the same 20 liters gets me 150-160 k's. On getting the fuel analisied, the caltex and shell come out with fewer impurities than bp.

Since I race a Pro Stock Drag Bike and fuel is of importance to me, and I like to get what I pay for. I suppose it all comes down to how the fuel burns and the drive it puts on the piston. So far Optimax seems the go as the burn rate really suits the fuel injected motors with the current delayed ignition timings. It also helps in keeping the back of the inlet valves clean which helps cylinder filling- hence more power for throttle position.

Regards Col
PS no I don't work for shell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts