Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, (and girls)
Against my best advice my father in law has just purchased an XR8 ute.
In terms of bolt on performance for these things what is the best money spent (other than a bigger crank)??

Does a decent exhaust make a good power increase? If so what type of configuration? twin 2.5" single 3" ??

As you may know I'm a little more familiar with the LS1 myself but can't wait to give his ute a good work out to compare it to my wagon.

Any advice welcome, the more the better.

Thanks Grant.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
You go about it in much the same way as you do with the LS1 or any other engine for that matter!. The difference is that with the same mod you can expect more bang for your buck for the LS1.

Induction and exhaust, engine management are all areas that will bring improvements.

Which exhaust system will depend on who you talk to last as everyone has a different opinion. I went with twin 2.5. All the tests on the dyno I have seen makes the single 3 to be about the same as twin 2.25.

I have heard yella terra claim 3k will get about 250kw but that is breaking the motor apart.

And lastly your Father in law has great taste;)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Go and see Herrods. See also article about Herrods in latest Motor magazine.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
HSE2 said:
And lastly your Father in law has great taste;)
Damn straight he does.. :D
Best folks to talk to around here would be Doc, laminge, ford guru, HSE and a few others...
Any ideas boys??

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
A goodly purchase, to be sure. :thumbup: Ok, to the matter at hand.. I'm guessing it's the 200kW version? Assuming this, let's see.. it should have the 70mm MAF and 24lb injectors, and 65mm TB. If not, then these should be on the list.

Exhaust :
* dual 2.5" exhaust with resonators removed (X or H configuration)
* Straight through mufflers (with 1.5" long section of >2.5" diameter pipe at the exit of each)
* Genie bigass exhaust manifold (1 5/8)

Intake :
* ported upper + lower intake manifold
* DIY cold air (see Tech section on our club site) with pod filter
* adjustable fuel reg. wouldn't hurt!

Other :
* roller rockers (1.7 ratio or near offer)
* ported & polished heads (twisted wedge, Trickflow, or alloy GT40's)
* FMS (or SVO) E303 cam (or whatever suits the purpose!)
* Unichip - if you can live with using a specific fuel only eg. Optimax

Ok, an XR8 running a fairly similiar setup to that above (GT40 heads) was getting a touch under 200kW at the feet, about 198 I think..

Hope this helps mate! :D And for the record, yes, this is my own personal shopping list... now where'd that pay rise get to?? :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts