Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talking to a mate and he said he drove a new XR8 last week which he said had a 6 speed manual tranny?!?!?!

I asked him how he got to drive it and he said "all the new models do the rounds of the big fleets prior to their release so that they can get orders in early etc.."

Still awaiting a confirmation on this from him about this since I was talking to him via email.

If this is true then its definitely a good surprise!!!

Anyone else got any info?

Jase

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Ok so if it was legit, I wonder when production starts. If fleets are already assessing them, then surely its soon, maybe JUNE/JULY when production of the 220kw XR8 begins. Where does that leave the T-SERIES, Mmm, now that I think about it, they beefed up that 5spd manual to handle the 220kw in the TE50, now that the stroker is on the way and should have 260+kw, a new box seems realistic. :D

Aussie Pete might get a nice suprise..:)

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Trust me,

anything more than the standard 200kw needs a better box.

As you guys maybe aware I blew my box some 6 weeks ago down in Tasi and am still waiting for those Ford Warranty guys to get back to me!

The Us exchange rate sorta limitsa purchase of a good 6 speed.

:mad3: :evil2:

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
The six speed that is in the Commodore is bloody strong. It's a little reluctant at first but once you get it sorted its ok. A downside is the ratios, really need 3.9 diff to get full benefit.

I've seen someone miss a shift (1st instead of 3rd at 6k rpm in 2nd :eek: ) and all it did was compression lock the rear wheels. Box held up fine.

What diff does the XR8 use and how will that cope with the extra power?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I suspect the XR8 with the 6 speed is a 'mule' for the new T-series. I doubt XR8 will get 6-speed since you would expect Ford to say so when they announced the upgrade.

XR/T-series uses the same diff as the Holdens. Four pinion cone type LSD. 3.45 ratio.

LAMINGE:
Ford Warranty:?: :?: :?: On your car!!!:gok: :CraZ:

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
JEM

Actually they did not mod the T-5 for the 220kW TE50. If you look back at the time you'll see that BTR re-assessed it and found it could handle the extra torque.

Shame of course because the T-56 is an awesome box, particularly the Ford version which has a nice spread of ratios.

·
EB Fairmont Owner
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got confirmation from my mate:

"...Just spoke to the fleet manager.. the car came from Ford Motor itself... coz we buy so many fords.. and yes it was a 220kw six speed.."

I doubt it would be a test mule - why would they give a test fleet car something thats not available to be had on the real thing??

Jase

·
7,777 Posts
TickfordEB said:
I doubt it would be a test mule - why would they give a test fleet car something thats not available to be had on the real thing??
Jase
Well, really they already have. You can't get a 6 speed or 220 until end of June anyhow. I hope you're right, but Ford would have said so me thinks....

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Funny that this topic was raised i went to teh dealer of the dark side (no i have not changed or even thinking) as my friend wanted to checkout some late near new VT's and VS. I came across a VTII SS GenIII with the T56, I sat in the car and had a play of the gears and a thought came to me "gee this gear box would be good in an AU XR8" if this is true me prayers have been answered.

:D :D :D :D

·
7,777 Posts
Ford would have to do the 3.91 gears for the 220 because it is a bit revvy if you know what I mean. The SS struggles and it has the 5.7 litre torque with 3.45s. If we get the six speed, poor old G.P. is getting slobbered on by this old hound. From nothing, to kiss, to slobber - what a life :D :p

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Hey guys,

I've had a good think about this (and a chat to somebody;) ), I don't think it's gonna happen, not for the upgrade late this year anyway. Think of this, the 6 speed thats available in the states is bolted to the back of the 4.6 DOHC, and the 5.4L. Now I'm not tech on car related mechanicals, but would it be such an easy installation to fit the 6 speed to the Windsor?? you have to remember, Ford aren't gonna spend big dollars developing and making it fit for AU, and 2, would there be a noticable advantage (performance/drivability)? You can see from Holden, that the 6th gear is useless, its just a marketing advantage and something to brag about at the pub:p

·
7,777 Posts
JEM:
The six speed HAS to happen. Ford must be committed to doing the engineering for the T-Series stroker anyhow. The engineering for the Windsor is therefore done. Driveability is secondary to handling the torque. Besides, the strokers pull the high gearing easily - look at the HSVs with Holden strokers. No probs at all!

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
But why is it that it HAS to happen? Isn't it much like going from the straight 6 to V6? What I mean there is, that the straight six has its advantages and some of the best performace cars use straight sixes. Ford don't NEED to get rid of the straight six, they could easily spend the money on IT, rather than a V6 and make it just as good if not better. It seems alot of people think that the V6 has to be better than a straight six because of the link with "V8". I think the same is happening with the tranny, a good 5 speeder would be fine.

Look at the Diablo, 5 speed;)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Jem, in the US you can buy conversion kits for the T-56 6 speed so it will fit 5.0L Mustangs.

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Read my lips people. It's not about the 6th gear, it's about handling the extra torque. Ford marketing may say/think otherwise but marketing are full of **** anyway. The T56 is the only logical choice for the torquier motors they are releasing.

Look at their options. T5 is at its limits already. TR3550 and TKO (both known as 'Tremecs') aren't smooth enough for mass production. T56 was the only other viable option. The 6th gear is just an added bonus. Anyway if my hunch is right you'll see our version will have a nicer spread of gear ratios. Let's see how accurate my crystal ball is.

Ford (my guess)
1st 2.97
2nd 2.07
3rd 1.43
4th 1.0
5th 0.80
6th 0.62

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
I reckon your crystal ball could well be right Kon! :cool: :thumbup: It IS all about the torque, and a tougher box with an extra cog is a big bonus! :wink2: Would like one in mine... :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
12 Participants
HSE2
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing