Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my cold/ram air duct fitted, with no cutting or drilling required, now what I want to know is, can I get a bigger MAF meter for my EF 5.0L, seeing as I am feeding it with a 4" duct I assume I am getting a good positive pressure in the airbox, but looking at the inside diameter of the standard MAF meter got me wondering if I can get a larger one to allow more flow.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
You surely can mate dont know where u r but in perth these people can get em to suit your needs.
All have to b calibrated to suit your injectors ie 19lb/hr 24lb/hr etc
A1 performance in morley
Blueprint engineering in wangara to name a few.
Different maf brands C&L vortech etc
Shouldnt b hard at all
Cheers Brett

J

·
0 Posts
You can buy the MAF to suit an AU II which is 70mm and just swap over your electronics. Thats what i did to my EL with no dramas...

A

·
0 Posts
Waz,

Good to see your persistence paid off in the end. I also have an EF and am looking at doing a cold air intake. Did it make much difference?

A company in Perth does cold air intakes for falcons and is claiming a 10rw hp increase. They also do some mods to the internals of the air box. Cost is around $275 (for AUs). They are still working on a design for EF/ELs to get around the dreaded ABS unit.

Can you give me some details on what sort of ducting you used and how you managed to do it without drilling any holes? Any picks would also be appreciated. My email address is [email protected]

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it makes a difference not sure HP wise but it is better of the mark, feels smoother when cruising down the freeway/highway ( i put it down to not having to work for air) and is more responsive to throttle inputs at speed, I'm working on borrowing a digital camera to take some pics, but I'll see if I can explain it without getting to deep.

All I used was 1 mtr length of 4" airseeder hose with a steel spiral, sourced from hoseco for $32, a 3"-4" male-female 45degree PVC elbow, and some really long Zipties.
I cut about 1/2" of each end of the PVC elbow to allow clearance from the aircon pulley, slide the 3" end over the airbox intake and the hose over the 4" end and tied it on, to get it to pass between the aircon pulley and radiator fan I had to oval the hose(this is where the steel spiral helps to keeps it oval) I passed zip ties through the fan gaurds and around the hose to hold it, then run it pretty much straight down and across underneath the radiator between the radiator and trans cooler pipes( few strips of rubber around the pipes to protect from rubbing), the auto trans cooling pipes have just the right gap to slide the hose through under the right hand side of the radiator, cut a nice hole in the plastic undertray thingy big enough to handle take the oval hose, pull it through and bend it to face forward into the airflow for maximum effect and anchored with lockwire and zipties.
I could fit fist into the intake and around the curve so lots of air should be getting in. I tested it by using a hairdryer and held it about 1 mtr away from the intake pipe, I could feel quite a flow at the airbox, so should make for good positive pressure. hope this helps. now to order my MAF meter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jase_elxr8, I just spoke to Ford workshop foreman and he informed me that the AU2 MAF won't fit, company line I suspect, what electronics did you have to swap over, and did it bolt straight up, he mentioned something about it might start but would run like crap.

P

·
0 Posts
Swap over your electronics or plastic part of you original maf to bigger one so calibrations stay the same But you have to tell them what size injectors you are running for the sample tube..Latter model Falcons 200kw+ have 24 injectors[blue]

J

·
0 Posts
Waz,

The sample tubes on ford MAF meters are all the same size. I got a MAF of an AU series 2 which is 70mm. Swapped the black box (hotwire & electronics) It bolts straight upto airbox lid. Because the sample tube is the the same size and you use the same electronics, the computer thinks nothing has changed. It will relearn all the mixtures with the greater airflow.

Jase

K

·
0 Posts
Yes you can swap the meter housing but this is not optimal. With the larger meter the engine will be ingesting more air but will think its getting the same as before. This will lead to the engine running lean, perhaps dangerously lean at high revs/load. Sure the EEC will compensate as the O2 sensors sniff the exhaust but its not ideal. Preferably you would change the MAF transfer values in the EEC to match the new meter. A (service port) plug in chip (not Unichip) can be used to do this.

P

·
0 Posts
Kon:: would that be worked out alttle better on a cnl,Vortech, etc with sample tube?? Better I guess?? but I guess with eec tuner you know it's spot on.How hard is it to use the tuner Kon..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts