Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for asking this guys but I have recently put a deposit on a nice new GT30 600hp turbo (thanks gas250), I will be picking it up in 2 weeks.
My plan is to get it set up to run on mums EA and down the track take her car when she upgrades or buy an ED or something similar in the next few months.

I want to eventually have a 11.5-12 second reliable daily driver. How much power should I be aiming for? what size injectors would I need and how much would these cost? I will most likely use an aftermarket computer like wolf 3d or something. Which fuel pump etc?
I pretty much know how the engine will be built through GM's posts( EF block, crank and rods with EA race series pistons and all the rest), buts its the fuel side of things Im not sure of.

Also seeing as manual E series are so hard to find and not strong anyway and the auto trans is weak what should i do about a transmission? Should I save the pennies and get a tremec? Is there another 4 speed auto alternative? AOD? What would something like this cost?

What kind of boost can a standard EA engine take? In case I want to test things on mums car.

Thanks guys, and yes I have searched this topic everywhere.
Dan

381 Posts
Get 550cc injectors or larger, Bosch motorsport pump, AOD option is too hard, stick with the auto now as there seems to be some development going on with the BTR 4sp to get them to take some power. Otherwise a TKO if you can afford it or a EL/AU trans secondhand.

Re engine management side, I make plug and play adaptor harnesses that allows a EMS 8860 programable engine management to be plugged directly into all EA to ED auto and manual vehicles. I've just finished doing the auto harness which retains the original computer for auto control and fuel ignition for the EMS 8860. It works great. Just plug it in and drive. All tuning has been done for a stock EA to ED

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
Slap the GT30 on the 351

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that XF6250 but it seems like so much hassle, a turbo V8 would be awesome and I could use a holley and set it up blowthrough but I doubt the engine would last long as I wouldnt have the faintest how to tune it and I dont know of anyone who can tune a blowthrough turbo holley. I would only be able to run low boost cos I dont know the compression of the engine, is there any way of finding out without taking the heads off? How much power would 8 pounds give a 351?
I will be sure to research both options though. Its funny beating 6 cylinder VT's with my car now, Imagaine the look on the GTS drivers face when i pass him in my XF.
I might start anther thread on the turbo V8 question.

Turbotrana, that was some great info and The engine management work you are doing sounds unreal and like a very nice option as i have heard good things about the EMS 8860.

Thanks a lot guys
Dan

·
Registered
529 Posts
There is several efi computers that could easily do the job but I would not recommend the Wolf3D Ver3 it doesn't have many load points, ver4 is 110% better.

I would be looking at 500cc injectors minimum, 400cc will get you ~420fwhp only which I believe is well short of the turbo you have.

Since its an EA auto tranny why don't you try out one of 9psi EB's shift kits with a tranny cooler, I have been told this should hold to 250rwhp. The tranny is probably not going to be worth anything anyway considering the later models are a vast improvement.

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
I'd go a Wolf 3D Ver 4, injectors i'd go something big as not ford suggested, maybe even slightly bigger, as for the auto you can bolt up a C series automatic behind the 4.0 motors.

·
Team Betta Racing
123 Posts
Just a completely stupid question, but what's this EMS 8860?

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i could use the V8 C10 I have now behind the 4.0 litre? what would i need to change to get it to fit?

Anyone know what sort of boost a completely stock EA MPI can handle?

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
Dan, just a suggestion, run it on str8 gas, that way u dont worry about injectors, fuel pumps, ecu etc

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But isnt a good reliable gas system from GRA just as expensive as buying injectors and fuel management?
which way have you gone? Gas or petrol?
Ill have to ask GAS 250 some questions I think.

Thanks alot guys.
Dan

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
All u do is get an EB-ED inlet manifold, block of the injector holes and put a gas throttle mixer carby where the orig throttle body goes. As for your auto it should bolt str8 up

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the V8 thing is nice but I want a quick fairly economical daily driver and a boosted 6 is the only way to go I think without paying through the teeth for fuel.
I went through some of my old emails and I found one from GRA that said there gas system to flow 600HP consisted of 1 carby and 2 converters and was $1320. This is ofcourse if I already have a gas system installed. That isnt very expensive seeing an aftermarket computer is around $1300 plus injectors and whatnot, then there is the bonus of getting it street legal easier with emissions. GAS 250's XF is roadworthy and runs 10's.

Thanks for the help guys.
Dan

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
Dan as fordmuscle_83 good to see u back with the inline 6, go woth the gas that way if u ever get pulled up by cops its on gas its all legal (that is if u have an engineers report)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Theres something about inline 6's that gets me going. Its kinda like the underdog (compared to V8) and a boosted 6 on gas can put out wild numbers. Fullboost has an article of an turbo VALIANT hemi running 280kw with an impco 425 and t04 (p trim). He only revs to 5000rpm and boost starts at 2500. It runs 28psi i think but 18psi for road use. The torque of the thing was cracking the paint around the middle of the car!!
Should be able to be copied to the crossflow or OHC with the same numbers.

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cant wait to get this into gear.
If I go Gas ill have to wait to get another E series or use dad's CPI ea but it is a real piece of crap and I'd rather not touch it in case it coils over and dies. But then again it would be the ultimate sleeper with its dodgy beat up doors and white on the outside, burgandy on the inside paint job and drivers side wind deflecter.

I added up the cost of getting everything together after I pick the turbo. Using strictly Gas research prices it will cost me around $3500 for the exhaust manifold, intercooler, gas throttle bodies and converters. these can obviously be done cheaper elsewhere though.
I need to start looking at cars again. The XF isnt in the greatest condition and I cant be bothered switching it back to a 6 cylinder.
What should I buy? Ill drive the XF until I have bought all the bits i need to turbo the next car then ill start looking.

Im so excited and it is still so far away. But when its finished I should have a cheap reliable 12 second daily driving family car.

Dan

·
Team Betta Racing
123 Posts
Yeah. You're better off getting everything and then doing the whole lot at once i reckon. That way you wont get stuck with half a turbo setup, or half an engine rebuild etc. if you run out of $$$. An besides, everyone knows that stock CFI's are as slow as a wet week, so when you get the car finished, all of your mates can take it in turns getting munched by a crappy old TURBO falcon. he he he :wnc:

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts

·
Team Betta Racing
123 Posts
ebxr8240: What sort of prices would i be looking at for an EMS 8860? And they'd be well capable of running an 12psi EA turbo setup?

turbotrana: What prices are these EMS 8860 to EA-ED ECU harnesses that you make up?

Cheers - Coxy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts