Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To cut the story short, my girlfriend is looking to buy her first car. She will get one now if the price is right, otherwise a six-month wait isn't out of the question.

Basic details:
  • Has to be auto (I know)
  • She's not a fan of hatch-backs (rock on!)
  • But it also can't be too big (there goes a Falcon!)
  • Must be economical (duh)
  • Needs to be fairly modern (1992 is minimum)
  • Is best if it's "pretty" (so I don't have to convince her how good the car really is!)
  • Wants a 6 cylinder (small) but I will convince her otherwise
  • Needs to be reliable
  • Should be home-grown (ie. no expensive import)
  • Insurance will be a factor (bye turbos and probably coupes)
  • Can't cost more than $7,500

Bare in mind with me that she is very picky!

I've come to some conclusions thus far. First and foremost, I've thought about, you guessed, Fords! :bsr: She just thinks I am Ford-biased, hmm. What springs to mind are Lasers.

Just browsing the Trading Post and it looks like there are a couple of nice 1992-1995 Lasers. Let's be honest and unbiased: are they good cars? What should I look for? Ie. what's the better year? Different engines? Are there different series etc? Some nice 15" alloys and clear indicators would freshen it up really nice and I could convince her that it is "pretty"! I would love to find something like a TX5, but I don't know if the budget is big enough.

^^^ Would prefer the latter two ^^^

I'll put down what I've come up with, and you tell me what you know about them and how good they are (reliability, running costs, parts costs, etc).
  • Telstar 1992+ (V6 Ghia/TX5 or similar)
  • Laser 1992+
  • Pintara 1991+ (very, very doubtful)
  • Magna 1994+ (although a bit big)
  • Lancer 1993+ *shudder*
  • Corolla 1993+ *shudder*
  • Camry 1992+ *and bigger shudder*

Please throw me your suggestions and reasoning behind them.

Cheers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
TX5 is a nice car, but i say that cause i drive one. I've got the V6 Ghia, it's a 5 door hatchback but doesn't feel like one, can fit 4 adults very easily, 5 is a bit squished but. 2.5L V6 drives very nice, loves to be given a bit, mines a manual, so i can't comment on auto, but performance is alright for a FWD. Still looks nice for an 11yo car, comes with 15" alloys, power everything inside, eg. windows, mirrors, steering, and the velour seats are nice and comfy.

If you can find one with low km's on it should be good, i've only heard good things about the motor lasting a long time, and they are the exact same car as Mazda 626 of that era so you can source Mazda and Ford parts.

I paid too much for mine, but got a good trade in so it evened up alright. If you stretch your budget you should be able to get a goodun.

Oh, and the only thing that has gone wrong for me is the drivers power window motor burned out. And that's a year and a half driving.

Cheers

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
I know where there is a superb 1992 TX5 Ghia for sale... ok it's not the V6 but still goes ok for a HAE!! :fluffy:

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a fine car ninety_sixer. I will have to take a closer look at TX5s!

Mr Sparkle said:
I know where there is a superb 1992 TX5 Ghia for sale... ok it's not the V6 but still goes ok for a HAE!! :fluffy:
Details please! Pics? Links? Info? Price?

Cheers.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
XRated said:
Sounds like a fine car ninety_sixer. I will have to take a closer look at TX5s!

Details please! Pics? Links? Info? Price?

Cheers.
yeah if I was going to buy the next car...it would be a 1992+ TX5

they look good, go good, and have all the stuff you need. Although inding a good one for less than $7500 in Vic might be pushing it. They seem to keep there value compared to other 92' cars.

A KF laser would be alright. Save some cash and buy a nice stereo etc for it maybe?

·
Fords biggest Freak
663 Posts
Your in the exact same predicament as I am. The cars I laid down are: (bear in mind they are all 4 cyls)

97' Excel - cheap, and the GF likes them... with a body kit ofcourse.
Suzuki Jimny
Barina
and what you mentioned above.

You won't have a big choice if your looking for a SMALL 6 cylinder car. the majority of small cars are 4 cyls.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
The last of the Telstars are really nice cars & I've seen some at really good prices failing that the Lasers are strong little cars too but I wouldn't get a 4 banger auto.

·
Registered
364 Posts
TX5 was my pick before reading everyone elses and they all agree. I spose she will still have to like the looks and im pretty sure she will.

Tell us what she thinks of them.

Pete

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
redhotxr8 said:
Mr Sparkles...never one to miss an opportunity
Guilty as charged :angel:

·
Registered
738 Posts
narkus2 said:
93, 94 Galant V6.
Another good suggestion.

The thing with the medium category is that a longer stroke large 4 cylinder would be better than a short stroke V6 of similar capacity for driving around town. If it is under 2.5 litres, 4 cylinders is fine. In this car size category, there aren't alot of suitable V6s. With small/medium cars like Lasers or Mazda 323's (which are largely the same car) a 5 door hatch would be more flexible than a 4 door sedan and usually look a bit better too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How about a new Ford Fiesta - coming in April 2004 !

They recon they will cost around the 15-$18k mark. I know it blows the budget, but try investing the $7,500 for 6 months, and when it comes time to buy get the rest on finance (maybe 60:40 arrangement, provided she has a job..), and she will have new car !.

It beats buying 2nd hand and then paying for repairs and mechanical fixes over the rest life-time of the car.

As for TX5s, their full of some serious faults. Knew a mate who had a 92 Ghia (Hatch), and it had computer problems with ignition timing. Even the Ford dealer didn't know how to fix it, but it was definitely an electrical problem because all mechanical reasons for the rough idling were checked an illiminated. The transmission also seemed dodgy and had to change the clutch at least 3 times.
Also, the TX5 are an easy target for theft. My mate had an alarm and a cut-off switch, and still managed to get his stolen !. In fact, he was happy about it as he got $13,000 for it (2 years ago !). You would find insurance for TX5's to probably be relatively high.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
JamesA said:
As for TX5s, their full of some serious faults. Knew a mate who had a 92 Ghia (Hatch), and it had computer problems with ignition timing. Even the Ford dealer didn't know how to fix it, but it was definitely an electrical problem because all mechanical reasons for the rough idling were checked an illiminated. The transmission also seemed dodgy and had to change the clutch at least 3 times.
Also, the TX5 are an easy target for theft. My mate had an alarm and a cut-off switch, and still managed to get his stolen !. In fact, he was happy about it as he got $13,000 for it (2 years ago !). You would find insurance for TX5's to probably be relatively high.
Wow... well that's all news to me... I best go and tell mine to start having problems right now!!! :HAHA: :rofl: :rofl2:

Word of advice - don't cast the blanket so wide...

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
I'm soon to be selling my wife’s Mazda Astina (pop-up headlight model).
It's Red, made in 1990, but only done 58,000 km!!! (she’s does not drive it much....)
Its manual however, 1.8 and stock as a rock with the exception of sports exhaust.

Well be selling it in late Feb if I can convince her to part with it..lol. Just PM me if it’s suitable.

Cheers,
Colville

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys, your suggestions are really great! I'm sure I can get her a close-up look of the TX5 and get her to fall in love with one - using my "FordForum Charm™", of course ;)

Now, my next challenge is to get her learning manual. She sort of wants to, but is convinced by her father that learning manual should come a bit later. Bah to that. It'd have a lot of benefits and certainly open up the choices for buying a second-hand car. Not to mention that the little four-bangers wouldn't be so shoddy then, fuel economy would be a tiny bit better and wear and tear on the brakes would be a little less... Grrrr!

So what price for a decent TX5 do you guys think I should be considering?

Thanks again guys and keep the suggestions rolling :thup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you're looking for the 1992 model and later which is the 'pretty' one, you would be looking at around $7000 to $9000. It depends on whether you want the V6 or not (highly recommended) and how many km's are on it. You don't really have to worry about missing out on the accessories as nearly all of them came standard.
Like i said earlier though, the Mazda 626 is the same car as it was a joint venture between Mazda and Ford, and a sunroof is a lot more common in the Mazda's if that does anything for you.

And just as a side note, I'm pretty sure that the Telstar TX5 Ghia won COTY in 1992 when the new model was released. Something else you can use as a selling point to the missus.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts