Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or its a common thing? i find it so hard to keep up with cleaning the wheels, i drive 100km everyday so the wheels are completely black by the end of the week. i have given up cleaning already. any quick solutions? i read it from somewhere that it has something to do with the breakpad used.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Tell Me about it

The Mrs car only does 40 or so k's a day and even then the wheels are a shocker.

Must investigate changing those brake pads

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Ditto that, looked at my wheels today after about 180kms i have done and they are shocking :(

Not looking forward to cleaning the rims at all

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
such a shame for a pretty car with dirty rims. well... give up cleaning alright but hopefully there are solutions out there that can fix this.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
steely black rims ;)

seriously tho... it would be nice to fine something, but think you have to expect that with pads sometimes

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
try Bendix it solved my brake dust problem on my AU..get ones with no metal in them very harsh on your disc's....

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
I just use a Carlover's Wheel stuff once a week for free then pay $1 to hose them off. Easy as, little efffort and cuts even the deepest brake dust.

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi XRFPV8, i had a look at bendix's website and their product seems pretty promising. by any chance you know roughly how much they cost to replace all 4 pads? i'm looking at a better pads atm since the standard one on focus pretty good on high way and open road but isn't all that effective in heavy city traffic, quite a few times that i almost hit the car in the front due to poor breaking power, the break works but just not stopping the car. i'd love to look into this product if it could improve the breaking power and reduce breakdust.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
uhzid said:
hi XRFPV8, i had a look at bendix's website and their product seems pretty promising. by any chance you know roughly how much they cost to replace all 4 pads? i'm looking at a better pads atm since the standard one on focus pretty good on high way and open road but isn't all that effective in heavy city traffic, quite a few times that i almost hit the car in the front due to poor breaking power, the break works but just not stopping the car. i'd love to look into this product if it could improve the breaking power and reduce breakdust.
we bought the last set for my brother's AU about 6 month's ago from autopro we paid $48 for the set on the front. tell them you want a trade price, you can get a little discount....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've found that most European built cars used quite dirty pads. They work well, but dirty up the rims pretty quickly. I'm not sure if anyone has tried EBC Greenstuff on the OEM rotors, but they don't give out much dust at all.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
they all sound like good tips.....
how different is the braking system on the ST to other foci ? i have found my brakes ever std are brilliant

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
Ever since we stopped using asbestos in brake pads, they got very dirty, Fact of life now, we'll have to live with it......for our healths sake!

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
I have noticed that the Focus brakes seem preety bloody amazing from high speed and are left wanting around the city at times, however more so on their initial bite. Give them a good jab and they pull up pretty darn hard. I'm quite impressed overall with my brakes and never ever get into ABS territory even in a slam which I've done once or twice. The ST brakes are only a little bigger so I imagine they offer just a little more bite and perhaps a little less fade resistance, however that may not be totally the case. Zetec discs all round are up to the task no probs so I imagine the ST's are just that little bit better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Matt, most modern brakes don't have a huge amount of bite in initially, mainly due to the compounds used. They need to get nice and warm before they bite well.

My experience with the STs brakes are amazing. 300mm front discs are huge for car of this weight. The Zetec runs 258mm brakes which are decent, but a 42m increase is HUGE when it comes to brakes.

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
Yup brake fade is hard to get in a ST170, the brakes are the same size(very near)as a 1800Kg+(fuel+driver)V8 BA auto ute thats capable leagly of towing over 2ton+ payload!
I've givin mine a very hard time thru a 10km extremely windy narrow road(Pt Germain Geogre if u know it)several times with no brake fade at all, quite impressive for a standard car i thought(even mates riding their road bikes couldnt keep up...pussys!)

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Yeah will say the brakes on the ST are amazing, when my friend saw it for the first time Sunday nite, he even commented on the size of the discs, being about the same size as he used to have on his Gen III VT SS commy, and we all know how much more they weigh then the focus' :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well the Astra Turbo has brakes that are 310mm! Quite insane, I reckon! I guess that cars goes so fast in a straight line that you need to pull it up before you get to a corner. Where the ST can carry more speed through corners.

One of the main reasons why cars are running such large diameter rims now is simple to fit those big rotors in there.

BTW, brake fade has more to do with brake fluid than it does to do with rotor size. Brake fade is experienced when the brake fluid reaches boiling point. One of the best upgrades you can make to your brakes is running DOT 4 Full Synthetic brake fluid, and ensuring your brake lines are bled often. A lot of dealers and mechanics will not bleed the brake lines when they change the fluid. They simply siphon the fluid out of the resevoir and replace it. As brake fluid doesn't recirculate, doing this is near on pointless. So, ensure your brake lines are bled, or do it yourself!

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
I've taken my Zetec beyond its limits a number of times just to see if I have what it takes to maximise the performance abilities it has on offer, Now when I say performance, I mean Cornering and braking more so than sheer outright acceleration. The idea is to learn the limits of both my Zetec and Myself so that in REAL WORLD conditions, I might be able to dodge the odd kangaroo or fox, and employ evasive / defensive tactics when dealing with agressive metro drivers blatantly disregarding common road etiquete and keeping safe distances between cars. In emergency situations, the brakes on the Zetec are Fantastic! I know this because I regularly do the "Duck N Dodge" down northbourne at 07:45.
What really amazed me was how the car handles and brakes under "extreme" driving conditions; UNREAL!!! Quite frightening actually. It looks as though the Germans know a thing or two about using the right measure of Stopping power to offset the speed and agility that these vehicles are capable of.
I might add that with some serious stomping on the brake pedal, even thoughh the brake dust was all over the wheels, it wasn't as much as some other performace cars had when I took them through the same routine.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
autobahns... says it all...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts