Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having an issue with my Fuel Gauge in my '79 ZH Fairlane.
its never seems to work right, put 1/2 a tank and it says like its only got 1/4 of a tank yet put 1/3rd of a tank it says 1/2 a tank. Its really screwy and i never know how much fuel ive got. Is it possible to update it to a newer style of fuel sender? an electronic one?

Also my Distributor is sezed up on my block, any thoughts on how to loosen it up? (would like to fix the timing)

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
the fuel gauge is a pretty common problem. the gauge in the tank is a pretty barbaric device and they can both get clogged up (so i've been told) and just fail of their own accord. mine's exactly the same. I'm not sure if reproduction ones have been made. They might be the same as for an XC falcon, or even an XD. Does anyone know if/when the tank capacities/sensors changed?

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
by the way, totally off topic - how is it that i've got a 12/78 XD Station wagon and i know people with '79 ZH Fairlanes?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'78 XD?? whoa wierd. XD's didnt start till March 1979.
my Zh is plated Feb 1979. You must have a pre production model or a prototype.

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
whoa... wish i'd known that before i cut the roof off :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, a 78 XD is deffinately not factory. I have an 08/78 XC and they went for months after that!

Why'd you cut the roof off anyway?

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
rusted out $100 paddock car... made an awesome convertible before i blew the gearbox

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like either the sender is stuffed, or a crap connection.

First check wiring connection at the sender, as well as earthing of the sender to the tank.

If this is OK, try removing the sender, and with ignition on, slowly move the float arm up and down (not too fast as the gauge takes a little while to catch up). Probably have to ensure the body of the gauge is earthed for this to work. The gauge should move smoothly across its scale. Check the wiper arm on the resistance strip is making good contact across the range and is not burnt.

As far as I know, the XC sender is very different from XD. XD has no moving parts, but XC type uses a float arm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts