Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple of issues ive got that id love to hear what people think....

First, My fuel gauge is screwy as hell. I allways put fuel in it when it reaches 1/4 of a tank. Now i put $30 in about 2 days ago and it said it had just under 1/2 a tank (its a 80ltr tank). Now i got 117k's from that 1/4 of a tank. I put $20 in it today and the gauge only shows that it went up 1/3rd of the way and dropped to 1/4 after about 10mins of driving. What the heck's wrong its doing this kinda stuff all the time... im guessing its not a electronic Fuel Sensor like in a XD. Could someone please explain how this thing "Suppositly" works and if its possible to add a newer style sender unit so i can put a newer gauge on it?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yea The thing with the adding of a newer style sender unit is because ive seen a large amount of XC's with XF GHIA interior in them around melbourne. Guessed they had to change it for the XF Cluster to show the fuel

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wish I could help, but I know ZIP all about what type of fuel senders are on ZH's
I also don't drive my car on petrol much so dont take any notice of the fuel guage most of the time

Maybe ask in the Garage section??

·
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch
594 Posts
ZHFairlaneV8 could you explain more about the XC's with XF interior in them? or even if you had some pictures of how it looks as a finished product

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Not 100% sure, but the incorrectly reading gauge might be a leaking float in the fuel tank sender unit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rev, about 1yr ago i was looking at 3 completely different XC wagons.... all around melbourne and every one of them had XF Ghia interior (Seats, dash,etc) I havent seen any since but i think i came across a website with some stuff on how someone did it. I will see if i can find it for you.

EBXR, Yea i assumed the Float was stuffed. But was curious to see if anyone knew of a aftermarket version?

·
Australian BA XR6 Falcon
1,249 Posts
As mentioned above, probably a hoe in the sender float, fairly common thing.

Piece of piss to fix or replace (if you can find a new one), drain tank, locate sender on front pax side of tank, pull pipe and sender wire off, usa a screwdriver wedged between those tags and rotate the whole unit anti clockwise and remove it taking care not to damage/bend the wire arm.

Now check the float, iirc they are thin copper, you can drain em and solder over the holes - throw it back together and good as new :)

·
in his big ZH
131 Posts
mate a better idea than fixing it would be just to fill your tank every time you put fuel in and keep track of how many litres per hundred km. It also then lets you know if your engine is not performing as it should.

My XC (for sale $1800 neg [email protected]) does not have a working fuel gauge but I have never had problems running out as I kept track. I have a gauge to put in it but have not bothered yet.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
216 Posts
I had a an accurate fuel gauage in an XB Fairmont, but my ex wife still managed to frequently run out of petrol.
I dunno about you blokes but when it gets to 1/4 I fill it up.
I love the ZH fuel guage, it like reading an inclinometer. Turn a corner - plenty of fuel. Go around the other way - less fuel

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
yeah... the Z's fuel guage is great cause of terror with my girlfriend (with whom i've spent many a great night by the side of the highway after my HQ ran dry)... She watches it like a hawk... even going down a flat freeway it swings freely between 2/3's and below empty... I just know i get roughly 400/tank, and fill it up around then

1 - 10 of 10 Posts